Low GPA and taking the MCAT in June

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theponds60

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated in December 2016 and am getting ready to apply to medical schools now for Aug 2018 (I'm taking a gap year). My final cGPA is 3.49 and I realize that's really low and I'm worried if I'll even get in. I understand that it's not what the med schools look for but I do have a lot of extracurriculars (volunteering, shadowing, and scribing experience) to add to that. I'm also hoping my MCAT turns out well.

Would anyone be able to let me know what my chances would be? Also, if, hopefully not, I don't get accepted into any medical schools, what are the possible next steps that I could take to increase that GPA or strengthen my resume?

I am planning on applying for the Peace Corps if I don't get accepted this round so I will be able to put that on my resume also if it shall happen.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you applying this June for matriculation in Aug 2018?

Hard to suggest anything without more information, especially MCAT, ECs, URM, etc. Almost impossible without an MCAT.

That said, if you are interested in the Peace Corps, I'd recommend shooting for that. Take some post-bacc classes now while you apply (to the Peace Corps) to get your GPA above 3.5. Peace Corps is one of those extraordinary ECs that can resurrect a GPA and a 3.49 is not all that low.

EDIT: I only suggest the Peace Corps because you expressed interest. DO NOT do the Peace Corps unless you are 100% invested and excited about the Peace Corps. It means 2.5 years (.5ish years of training/waiting and a full 2 years of service) in very remote, sometimes going to the bathroom in buckets type places. You will not survive with your sanity and health in tact if you are not 100% invested and thrilled by the work. You make almost no money and will almost certainly not be able to apply to Med School during your 2 years, so you are probably looking at least 4 gap years if you go this route.

Last edited: