WAMC low low MCAT and high GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

laaaaav

Reaction score
I have a 499 MCAT score and a 3.92 GPA. I took the MCAT in June and was averaging better than how I scored... but alas. i'm a PA resident, do I have any shot at MD schools anywhere? do you think most DO schools would interview? trying most for PCOM, but also don't know what to make of my school list right now

1. 3.92 GPA and 3.86 science GPA
  2. 495 to 499(125/123/125/126)
  3. PA born and resident
  4. Asian
  5. Private small college
  6. EMT volunteer about 500 hours (still ongoing)
  7. Three semesters of research, with two posters
  8. shadowed an opthalmologist for about 30 hours, rest is virtual shadowing
  9. Hospice volunteer (calling families for bereavement/emotional support) for 200 hours, meals on wheels volunteer for about like 60 hours, elementary school reading tutor (50 hours)
  10. Tutored bio and chem for 400 hours, president of pre-health club, founder and president of cooking club
  11. Leadership award (given to one student per graduating year), outstanding junior award (given to one student of the junior class)
  12. work-study student organizing/setting up/cleaning labs for about 500 hours
  13. 7,000 work hours (not clinical---shift lead/manager in food service throughout college)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
OP

What is your current school list?

When do you plan to apply?

OP

What is your current school list?

When do you plan to apply?
right now I have most of the MD and DO schools in PA (Jefferson, Drexel, Temple, Geisinger, PCOM) and probably going to add Rowan. i got back secondaries from Jefferson and Geisinger but not sure if it's even worth the money to send them in if i don't have a chance. Having trouble figuring out what other schools I should add on

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you follow the template?

Reactions: 1 user
Can you follow the template?
Yeah here it is

1. 3.92 GPA and 3.86 science GPA
  2. 495 to 499(125/123/125/126)
  3. PA born and resident
  4. Asian
  5. Private small college
  6. EMT volunteer about 500 hours (still ongoing)
  7. Three semesters of research, with two posters
  8. shadowed an opthalmologist for about 30 hours, rest is virtual shadowing
  9. Hospice volunteer (calling families for bereavement/emotional support) for 200 hours, meals on wheels volunteer for about like 60 hours, elementary school reading tutor (50 hours)
  10. Tutored bio and chem for 400 hours, president of pre-health club, founder and president of cooking club
  11. Leadership award (given to one student per graduating year), outstanding junior award (given to one student of the junior class)
  12. work-study student organizing/setting up/cleaning labs for about 500 hours
  13. 7,000 work hours (not clinical---shift lead/manager in food service throughout college)

Did working hamper your MCAT prep efforts? If so, it might be worth securing yourself some protected time to work intensely on a retake?

Did working hamper your MCAT prep efforts? If so, it might be worth securing yourself some protected time to work intensely on a retake?
The first time, yes but the second test, honestly no. I have a family member with a chronic illness and I spend a considerable amount of time as a caregiver for her a day. She’s basically bed bound and also gets panic attacks so my home life is unpredictable. I had a bit over 3 months of studying in that situation.

You could receive interviews at some DI schools and I suggest these:
PCOM (all schools)
VCOM (all 4 schools)
LECOM (all schools)
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
MU-COM
LUCOM
LMU-DCOM
ACOM
WCU-COM
NYIT-AR
ARCOM
UIWSOM
Noorda-COM
Touro-Montana
KHSC-COM
BCOM
Orlando (when it opens)
Many of these schools have MCAT medians in the 498 to 502 range so you could receive interviews. Apply this month and submit all your secondaries by September.