LOW GPA any hope??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adfadsfa92

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi.. wondering should i give up optometry school...:(
Major: chemistry
cGPA: 2.5
sGPA: 2.9
OAT: 340AA/350TS
....any hope?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Your gpa might be lower the the average but your OAT is pretty good. I would apply and see what schools say. I think you should be okay just make sure your letter of rec and experience is good as well.

Absolutely. Especially because some schools value OAT score more than anything else.

Members don't see this ad :)
Apparently the OAT means more than OAT so you shouldn’t be worried. Just be prepared to explain why / any bad grades. It sucks when someone has a 3.4GPA and a 280AA OAT (me) but has a hard time getting accepted. Someone like you will definitely get accepted. Sucks.

You are fine with those OAT scores. Undergraduate curriculums' vary in quality and difficulty and so one person for example could get a good GPA in an "easier" school and a lower GPA in a "harder" school. OATs are the equalizer: what admission's committee's use to compare. just make sure your rec letters and experience are good.

Reactions: 1 users
It sucks when someone has a 3.4GPA and a 280AA OAT (me) but has a hard time getting accepted. Someone like you will definitely get accepted. Sucks.
But did u get accepted anywhere, just wondering? If not, good luck!

Waiting on 4. On standby/waitlist. Sucks that someone else on here with a 2.7 got accepted because of his/her 330 OAT.

While it’s unfortunate that you’re currently waiting on schools, that’s no excuse to be discrediting others’ achievements. :/ You have no idea whether they may have had many parts of their application stand out, like their personal statement or LORs. Or perhaps they aced their interviews and yours were shaky. You don’t and can’t know 100% why they were accepted and you have not been. I really do hope you get into a school and don’t allow this discourage you, but you also shouldn’t drag other people down to make yourself feel better.

Reactions: 12 users
While it’s unfortunate that you’re currently waiting on schools, that’s no excuse to be discrediting others’ achievements. :/ You have no idea whether they may have had many parts of their application stand out, like their personal statement or LORs. Or perhaps they aced their interviews and yours were shaky. You don’t and can’t know 100% why they were accepted and you have not been. I really do hope you get into a school and don’t allow this discourage you, but you also shouldn’t drag other people down to make yourself feel better.
Not trying to discourage my man. Just saying schools suck.

apply to SUNY... they look holistically at everything
you have a low GPA maybe you had family situation or things going on.. if you can score well on the OAT that shows that you know how tis study for the test etc. and the reason why they care about this because it closely helps them determine how u do on NBEO boards. so definitely apply. and apply SUNY.. they have students that had GPA like that and killed it on OAT who are doing so great in school.
you got this!!

Any specific schools that look at OAT more than GPA?

It depends on more than just your GPA and OAT imo. Have you done any shadowing at all?

It depends on more than just your GPA and OAT imo. Have you done any shadowing at all?
yesss, I shadowed with optometrist and ophthalmologist for over than 100 hours! and also had experience as president at Christian club at school and one medical mission trip

yesss, I shadowed with optometrist and ophthalmologist for over than 100 hours! and also had experience as president at Christian club at school and one medical mission trip
That's good that you have started getting experience! I would recommend getting more optometry related hours done though. I have similar academic stats and it's my second year applying now. I'm currently waitlisted, but highly likely to get in I believe since I'm high on the list. I've been an optometric tech at two different offices for about 3 years now and also taught 2 classes at adult schools on how to do that same job. I also have a bit of volunteering experience (optometry related of course). So it may take a bit longer for you than other people with higher GPA and OAT scores, but there's definitely hope :') Good luck!

That's good that you have started getting experience! I would recommend getting more optometry related hours done though. I have similar academic stats and it's my second year applying now. I'm currently waitlisted, but highly likely to get in I believe since I'm high on the list. I've been an optometric tech at two different offices for about 3 years now and also taught 2 classes at adult schools on how to do that same job. I also have a bit of volunteering experience (optometry related of course). So it may take a bit longer for you than other people with higher GPA and OAT scores, but there's definitely hope :') Good luck!
if you don't mind, can i ask where did you apply? cuz i will apply all optometry schools in state!

if you don't mind, can i ask where did you apply? cuz i will apply all optometry schools in state!
I applied to UC Berkeley, Western U, and SCCO since I wanted to stay in California.

hi.. wondering should i give up optometry school...:(
Major: chemistry
cGPA: 2.5
sGPA: 2.9
OAT: 340AA/350TS
....any hope?
Hello, could you please PM for some advice?also did you get into a school this cycle?