MD & DO Low GPA, Average MCAT, strong ECs - WAMC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrinkMoreWaterrr

Reaction score
Low GPA, average MCAT, great ECs applicant advice?

Asking for any advice/tips on how to handle this upcoming application process. Thank you all for taking time out of your day to help.

25 years old; applying as an URM- Have Hispanic heritage. Took 14 years of Spanish (kindergarten through sophomore year college; am not fluent)

I have a below average GPA from a big ten school. Bio major — 3.493 GPA. Have not calculated my AAMC GPA.
Note: retook orgo 1 (F—>B+) weird semester all together, couple deaths in the family and people close to me. Academic low point. Turned this low point around and made the academic deans list the following 3 semesters in a row, high upward trend.

My GPA with F in orgo factored in — guessing my cGPA is hovering around a ~3.4 I’m guessing.

Also have 4-5 Ws from random classes (couple business classes when I changed majors; two science classes as well) Can explain all discrepancies in secondaries and can interview well.

MCAT: 506– 126/126/126/128. 69th percentile. Feel okay about this score, feel like I could do better but do not want to retake a third time.

ECs (projected hours by time I would matriculate):

1800+ hours clinical experience as a scribe. Worked in ENT and ED primarily.

2500+ hours working as a clinical research coordinator, throughly trained in biological specimen handling/phlebotomy. Currently doing research on liver cancer through a top public research institution.

50+ hours undergraduate research revolving around US farm subsidies and world trade organization policies and their effect on the obesity epidemic in America.

40+ hours shadowing internal medicine physician.

250+ hours in non-clinical volunteering/community service: including work with underprivileged children as a college mentor. Have various leadership experiences throughout college as well.

I have a VERY unique story and path to medicine. Also what I like to think is a very strong personal statement. One of my professors, who also wrote me a LOR, called my PS “inspiring and moving”.

I plan to apply this coming May to most DO schools (probably about 20-25 DO schools)

Will also apply to 5-6 low tier MD programs (Howard, the new Kaiser school of medicine, etc)

Currently I have doubt that I will get accepted this cycle and I’m nervous about applying. Any help or suggestions on schools would be very appreciated or personal experiences applying to schools with similar stats/background!

Members don't see this ad.

I think you’ll be okay for DO interviews. What Hispanic group do you represent? Work on your Spanish. Skills in Spanish are always a big plus.

I think you’ll be okay for DO interviews. What Hispanic group do you represent? Work on your Spanish. Skills in Spanish are always a big plus.
Thank your the reply! Mexican American. Do you have any suggestions on MD programs?

Members don't see this ad :)
Where is your state of residence ? You are competitive for all DO schools and should receive several interviews.
Thank you so much for your reply and advice. State of residence is IN- will be applying to both MU-COM and IUSM.

Also, I am a fairly devout Christian so I know I’ll also be applying to Loma Linda on top of Howard, Kaiser, Rosalind Franklin for MD programs. Do you think I have a shot at any of those schools or any advice for applying MD?

I am more than content practicing as a DO or MD. Also am interested in family/internal medicine and psychiatry, if that matters.

Thank you for your help, really appreciate it.

Howard accepts mainly URM from the African American community. I suggest these MD schools:
Indiana
Kaiser
California University
Loma Linda
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Creighton
TCU-UNT
Oakland Beaumont
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Drexel
Temple
George Washington
NOVA MD

Howard accepts mainly URM from the African American community. I suggest these MD schools:
Indiana
Kaiser
California University
Loma Linda
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Creighton
TCU-UNT
Oakland Beaumont
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Drexel
Temple
George Washington
NOVA MD

Thank you for taking the time to respond and help me out! I really do appreciate it and love the school list you suggested.

However, I personally feel like most of those programs would be “reaches” for someone in my position. If you don’t mind me asking, why do suggest those schools in particular?

@Goro would you support my chances and the MD/DO list suggested by Faha? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you

I recommend:

Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Wake
Tulane
GWU
Albany
Nova MD
VCU
Wayne State
Netter
EVMS
U Toledo
Seton Hall
Rosy Franklin
Loma Linda
Loyola
WVU
U VM
Rush
MCW
SLU
Creighton
Oakland-B
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Gtown
IU
Any DO school. I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, Wm Carey, LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me.

I recommend:

Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Wake
Tulane
GWU
Albany
Nova MD
VCU
Wayne State
Netter
EVMS
U Toledo
Seton Hall
Rosy Franklin
Loma Linda
Loyola
WVU
U VM
Rush
MCW
SLU
Creighton
Oakland-B
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Gtown
IU
Any DO school. I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, Wm Carey, LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me.

Great response. Thank you for your time!! Happy Monday

Reactions: 1 user