LOW GPA, Avg MCAT, LOTS of extracurriculars, Hispanic, 1st generation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

feelingreen

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your ECs are excellent and show a pretty compelling story of wanting to be a doctor. So that's good. (I saw that you were a fellow AmeriCorps member and a 1st generation college applicant - awesome and congrats! *Be sure to write about this in your app!) Your MCAT is fine (average).

You're right about not applying to the Caribbean, and probably right about being a decent candidate for DO, but your sGPA will hurt you no matter where you apply.

I know it's pricey, but I would consider doing a md school SMP (post-bac program) to really resolve the red flags in your academic track record. I would say your chances of admittance to MD programs are very limited with that GPA. Can't really speak to your chances for DO since I don't know. I'll let someone else here answer that.

Best of luck! You'll get there if you keep at it. Keep the faith!

Your ECs are excellent and show a pretty compelling story of wanting to be a doctor. So that's good. (I saw that you were a fellow AmeriCorps member and a 1st generation college applicant - awesome and congrats! *Be sure to write about this in your app!) Your MCAT is fine (average).

You're right about not applying to the Caribbean, and probably right about being a decent candidate for DO, but your sGPA will hurt you no matter where you apply.

I know it's pricey, but I would consider doing a md school SMP (post-bac program) to really resolve the red flags in your academic track record. I would say your chances of admittance to MD programs are very limited with that GPA. Can't really speak to your chances for DO since I don't know. I'll let someone else here answer that.

Best of luck! You'll get there if you keep at it. Keep the faith!

I keep seeing SMP around this forum, but am not sure what it stands for? Could you please explain it a little more to me?

Thanks for the advice!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you! I will look into it. The AAMC also has some information that I found as well. :)