Low GPA before even starting college

Started by what_
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

what_

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi there,
I'm an incoming college freshman this fall (biology major) and as of right now, I have a 2.87. I attended a high school located on a university campus that integrates college classes into the curriculum beginning sophomore year. I took 8 college classes (a total of 23 units), the first of which I received a C in and the remainder B's. Unfortunately, I was a big-time procrastinator, resulting in my poor grades. Now, I am attending the same university where I took these classes and I am afraid I have completely ruined my chances of gaining admission into medical school (or at least my dream school, UCSF). I'm aware that I'm probably getting way ahead of myself, as I'm not even in college yet and haven't taken the MCAT or done extracurriculars. But do you think medical schools will consider me despite the situation I'm in? I understand they look favorably upon upward trends. If it helps at all, here are the college classes I took in high school:

World History I
World History II
Life Science
Animal Biology
Elementary Spanish (1A)
Elementary Spanish (1B)
Environmental Science
Biological Psychology

Thanks in advance for any insight you may have.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You have four years of college left, don't worry about it. What's done is done. Work hard and get good grades, do what you can to make yourself the most competitive applicant that you can be.
 
Your college classes taken in high school GPA is listed separate from your GPAs from each year in college. So if there is an upward trend, it will be very evident.
 
Thank you all so much for your advice! I appreciate it very much. I will try my best and stay determined throughout college. 🙂