Low GPA, High MCAT

Started by deleted1210274
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

D

deleted1210274

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm currently a sophomore applying to med school end of junior year. I'm trying to get into t10 schools like Hopkins and Mayo. I had a dip in GPA and it'll be 3.7 by the time I apply. MCAT will be in 525 based on what I've worked on so far. I have an upward trend in GPA because I just had too many research projects, part time job, and extracurriculars going on during that dip semester. I've heard T10 or top med schools have a cutoff-I'm wondering if my scenario counts as a splitter cutoff and if it's even worth applying to top schools if they'll only look at GPA and MCAT. Also consider I'm a math and neuroscience double major.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
In what world is a 3.7 low? For top programs. it will be harder, sure. But for nearly all MDs you are ok. Also, you can’t say what your MCAT will be until you take it. What is a splitter cut-off? I haven’t heard of that. Top programs don’t “only look at MCAT/GPA”
I was talking to this trauma surgeon and he was stating how if there's many applicants, they screen your scores and if it's lower than their number, they don't consider it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was talking to this trauma surgeon and he was stating how if there's many applicants, they screen your scores and if it's lower than their number, they don't consider it.
I’m certain that it is different at every school. Most of which, won’t tell us exactly what their algorithm is, but MCAT/GPA isn’t the sole filter, especially at higher and higher GPAs/MCATs
 
Who told you T10 schools had cutoffs? Also, why are you so focused on T10 schools? As mentioned, the top schools don't just look at GPA/MCAT.
It was a trauma surgeon that I've shadowed. He didn't directly say cutoffs, but the way he mentioned "... you need a specific score otherwise they don't look at your app..." made it seem like he had cutoffs. I'm applying to safe and target schools, but the t10 is in reach for me. And my logic is, if it's a reach and if I don't certain stats, is it worth applying? But if there is no such thing as cutoffs, then I may just apply and see what happens.
 
It was a trauma surgeon that I've shadowed. He didn't directly say cutoffs, but the way he mentioned "... you need a specific score otherwise they don't look at your app..." made it seem like he had cutoffs. I'm applying to safe and target schools, but the t10 is in reach for me. And my logic is, if it's a reach and if I don't certain stats, is it worth applying? But if there is no such thing as cutoffs, then I may just apply and see what happens.
How is it in reach, if you don’t have an MCAT score yet? Your practice exam scores give you a good idea, but start making these decisions AFTER you get it. Before that, it’s all window shopping. Your effort would be better spent doing other things in the meantime my friend
 
How is it in reach, if you don’t have an MCAT score yet? Your practice exam scores give you a good idea, but start making these decisions AFTER you get it. Before that, it’s all window shopping. Your effort would be better spent doing other things in the meantime my friend
Thank you for the advice!!
 
It was a trauma surgeon that I've shadowed. He didn't directly say cutoffs, but the way he mentioned "... you need a specific score otherwise they don't look at your app..." made it seem like he had cutoffs. I'm applying to safe and target schools, but the t10 is in reach for me. And my logic is, if it's a reach and if I don't certain stats, is it worth applying? But if there is no such thing as cutoffs, then I may just apply and see what happens.
Have you asked admissions professionals? Would you take their word over the surgeon's? How does this surgeon know that's how "they look at your app"?

Mission fit is the key to your success. Being a high-stats applicant doesn't mean you fulfill their mission. There are plenty of other applicants with lower stats who may be better students at the brand-name schools than you might be. Cutoffs are just a convenient scapegoat (or conspiracy theory) where you can park your disappointment if things don't go the way you want them to.

Again, we can't make a call without a MCAT. Would you seriously consider retaking a 523? Are you a willing sufferer of reddit anxiety?
 
Only 2 T10 have cut off, NYU and vanderbuilt, and even for them it's 3.5. 3.7 is 10th percentile for many of T10s, but if you have a really strong research CV and score 520+ you should be able to get interview. It really depends on your ECs more than anything else, the standard is really high nowadays If you can afford the fees and time, go for it. But don't become too focused with ranking