Low GPA... chance me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

petabread4

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
-3.3c
-3.0s
-35Q (13PS 11VR 11BS)

-Coauthor of 3 publications, roughly 4 years total research experience
-50+ hours volunteering in non-medical fields
~50 hours medical volunteering, still doing more
~40 hours shadowing, still doing more
-Several leadership positions in fraternity and campus orgs
Extrapolating from past AAMC data, past applicants with a 3.3/35 had a ~46% chance of an MD acceptance: https://www.aamc.org/download/157450/data/table24-mcatgpagridall2008-10.pdf.pdf .

My biggest concern would be adcomm opinion of the low BCPM, especially if the last three semesters of BCPM grades haven't been in the 3.7 range. If necessary to boost your chances, and to appeal to more schools, you might consider a year of upper-level Bio classes (getting all As) or a Special Masters Program before applying. An extra year would also lead to needed improvements in your low clinical exposure(unless you worked with sick people during your research) and nonmedical volunteering hours.

Unfortunately, my last 3 semesters my BCPM has been around 3.3, though the major contribution to that is from high level physics classes, and a little from ochem labs.

I am planning on taking high level biology courses my senior year, is there anyway I can keep schools updated on my progress even though I'll be submitting apps over the summer?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am planning on taking high level biology courses my senior year, is there anyway I can keep schools updated on my progress even though I'll be submitting apps over the summer?

Yes, it is quite common for applicants to update schools with recent grades or substantial extracurricular activities. Some schools have a formal system in place for updates, while others will simply request an unofficial transcript.

Try to raise the gpa. I know physics and math can be killer for some people in those majors, but it's low enough that some schools might screen you out. Are you by chance thinking of MD/PhD? Those programs may be more likely to overlook a low gpa with a high MCAT and lots of research/publications during undergrad (know a handful with <3.5)...

try to raise the gpa. I know physics and math can be killer for some people in those majors, but it's low enough that some schools might screen you out. Are you by chance thinking of md/phd? Those programs may be more likely to overlook a low gpa with a high mcat and lots of research/publications during undergrad (know a handful with <3.5)...

i thought the md/phd program were harder to get in than md alone?? I'm applying this year with similar stats, so please correct me if i'm wrong