Low GPA, Great ECs, Criticism Welcome!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flightmed85

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I need advice/criticism and opinions on chances to a school. Please be honest!

Non-traditional stats:
-3.20 cGPA
-3.15 sGPA
My CC didn't do +/-. If they did, my sGPA would be 3.33 minimum as I've only received equivalent to B+ and above in my sciences thus far.
-No MCAT yet, sorry!

ECs:
-7 years as an emergency room tech and current employer.

-6 years as a flight medic in the military. Deployments to Iraq and Germany. I worked in the field, ERs, Blackhawks, C130's, etc. I've been trained in a hospital immunizations clinic, lab, basic field surgery, trauma, ERs, med surg units, etc., all across the states. I worked a rig for over 6 months along side a (civilian) paramedic in the states for training. I was trained in BLS, ACLS, PALS for ER and deployment purposes throughout the years. Ironically, I left the military with only an EMT-B so that's where I stand with certifications on paper.

-1000+ hours (just under a year) as a phase 1 pharmaceutical research assistant; paid job I worked at. I collected blood, urine, feces, monitored vitals, provided basic care to those who had adverse rxns; all sorts of fun stuff! I also separated blood to prepare samples for further testing of effects on body among other things. Overall it was great, but temporary!

-200~ hours volunteering in a low-income Latino community service center.

-I help my sister coordinate yearly fund-raisers/walks/events for Lupus. We've raised $10,000+ in three years. All donated to local high profile research facilities.

LORs:
My CHEM1&2 professor came to me willing to write me a letter signed from the science faculty at my CC regarding my character, work ethic, and altruism. I don't know if that's equivalent to a committee?
I have my unit commanders stamp of approval who's a doctor and O6, (full bird colonel, I don't know if that looks better?) willing to write me an LOR.
I have a few more, but these two in my opinion are the ones that shine.

I've posted before, but I couldn't find my login info so I apologize for the repost. I'm hoping to receive any feedback on where I need to improve, how to improve, and what I should/could do differently from this point forward. Most importantly, I'm wondering how MD/DO schools will look at my (current) GPA? I'm not a terrible student as I receive B's to A's in all classes. I only have two C's on my transcript from freshman comp (crazy I know right?) and US history which surprisingly drops the GPA quite a bit at 59 credit hours completed.

With all this said, I would love any advice, and thank you for taking the time to read!

Members don't see this ad.

i am having a hard time following. you only have 59 total college credits for everything? if so, you have plenty of time to raise that. If not, do you have a four year degree? have you taken all the prereqs? what is your state of residence? did you take all your classes at the CC? you are military i see, but are you currently active duty where you can't attend a four year university? hopefully you can clear some of this up.

59 currently and will have 73 at the end of the semester. If all goes well, I'll get a B+ in both Anatomy and OChem 1; A in Calc 1. I have around 8(?) W's on my transcript, or two semesters where I had to withdraw due to the military and moving; I've taken classes at 4 different CC's due to that fact. I don't have a 4 year degree. I'm finishing up my OChem sequence now, otherwise I have all prereqs completed for the MCAT. My undergrad state will be in MN at the U Twin Cities. I'm no longer active duty and now I'm taking full time credits at the U of MN.

Sorry for any confusion, but thanks for inquiring. Any more help/advice is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you can maintain the B+/A performance from here on out, and score >30 on the MCAT, I think you'll be fine for low-mid-tier MD programs, plus your state school, depending upon where you live. You're fine for any DO school.

And thank you for your service to your country.

59 currently and will have 73 at the end of the semester. If all goes well, I'll get a B+ in both Anatomy and OChem 1; A in Calc 1. I have around 8(?) W's on my transcript, or two semesters where I had to withdraw due to the military and moving; I've taken classes at 4 different CC's due to that fact. I don't have a 4 year degree. I'm finishing up my OChem sequence now, otherwise I have all prereqs completed for the MCAT. My undergrad state will be in MN at the U Twin Cities. I'm no longer active duty and now I'm taking full time credits at the U of MN.

Sorry for any confusion, but thanks for inquiring. Any more help/advice is appreciated.

I'll echo everything Goro said. At the same time, focus on raising your sGPA from here on out and try to get as many A's in upper division bio courses as you can. Its hard to give specific chances w/o an MCAT score or final GPA.

If you want a decent shot at MD schools straight out of undergrad w/o a postbacc or SMP, you'll want >3.4 GPA and >30 MCAT minimum.

Bring both GPAs above 3.25 and get a >26 MCAT and you should be set for DO.

I also had to take classes at >4 colleges due to being active duty military at the time (ex-USAF firefighter and flight medic) so it can be done.

Good luck!

I don't have much criticism to add. Your ECs are extraordinary and I'm sure you'll get into medical school nice you finish at a four year college

Agreed. Although I think you'll definitely be able to bring your gpa up since you have more units to take.

But even if you didn't bring your gpa up (which you should), I think people like you are why we see applicants still accepted even when their gpa's are in the bottom 10th percentile. You have excellent extracurriculars.