Low GPA, great EC's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grns

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello first post here,

I'm applying this cycle.

I have a 3.52 cGPA and a 3.45 sGPA. (Top 25 school, private)
MCAT 515

-1 summer of clinical research which included 300+hours shadowing (might be published by summer)
-1.5 yrs of working in basic science genetics lab
-2yrs of working municipal volunteer EMS (Crew chief/driver) (150+calls)
-3yrs collegiate EMS (250+calls)
-Elected Captain of my EMS organization
-1 summer of shadowing neurologist (100 hours)
-Biochem for Nursing Students Teaching Assistant
-Red Cross CPR Instructor
-Director of Fundraising-Two years of working with Global Medical Brigades doing rural medical service trips
-Co-President of Pre-Medical Society
-Co-Captain/Co-Founder Club Soccer Team
-Pre-Med mentor/Peer adviser (1yr)
-Director of Technology Health Science Journal

I'd like to apply to:

Rutgers RWJMS
Rutgers NJMS
Georgetown
GW
Drexel
Jefferson
Temple
Penn State
Tulane
Emory
NYU
Columbia
Cornell
EVMS
BU
CWRU
Brown
UVA
VT
Wake Forest
UPitt
Hopkins
Mt. Sinai
Creighton
NYMC

Thanks for your help

Members don't see this ad.

You have several low-yield schools on your list such as GW and BU. Your ECs are above average but not "great"; i.e. they are not good enough to make up for your GPA/MCAT at the top 20ish schools unless you are URM. If you are on a budget, I would recommend using schools around Emory as your reaches.

Here is a more realistic list

Rutgers RWJMS
Rutgers NJMS
Drexel
Jefferson
Temple
Tulane
EVMS
Wake Forest
Creighton
NYMC
Albany
Rowan
CUNY Med
VCU
Netter
Rosy F
Creighton
Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)
U VT
WVU
Any DO school, starting with Cooper, PCOM, NYITCOM and Touro-NY

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah sorry by "Great" I think I really meant to say "solid". I didn't mean like outstanding or extraordinary. And I realize my list of schools was a bit high-reaching. Would you say Georgetown is out of reach? And I'm thinking I want to do MD instead of DO. I realize my GPA is a bit low however so DO is definitely a good option.

Would you say I have a decent shot of getting into one of the schools on the list you made this cycle?

Thanks for your help!

@Goro what actually makes "great" EC's?

Also, Director of Fundraising? That position doesn't exist, did you mean VP?

When I was running for it that's what it was called. I was in charge of creating fundraisers and served as the treasurer. This was for my school's chapter and it's board so maybe that's why its called something different than what the global brigades brand would label it.

I too would be interested to here from Goro where I could improve my application aside from my GPA. Thanks again everyone for your feedback. I appreciate it.

"Great" ECs are those that are not possessed by many applicants out of the 40,000+ that apply each year and makes you go "Wow!". LizzyM mentioned some ECs a while back that are very impressive like being an Olympian, Rhodes Marshall Fulbright (research), starting a large successful NGO, military, etc. I'd say even a first author basic science paper in a reputed journal is "great". Also, ECs do need to be put with some context and intangibles. For example, IMHO, the Asian basketball champion would stick out more than the Asian piano champion though they may both be equally impressive.

I would caution you, like others have about your ECs. While solid, they certainly don't sell themselves. All of them are marked by achievement for participation, not productivity. Thus, everything comes down to your ability to sell them as being substantial. This is true for most people and their ECs, but that is why this is a cautionary. They don't 'distinguish' you by themselves.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm particularly fond of, or impressed by:

Habitat for Humanity
TFA
camp counselor at camp for sick children
working with the elderly, dying, mentally ill, or the developmentally disabled.
military service
establishing a successful foundation
Peace Corps
Being a Big Brother/Sister
Tutoring/reading to poor children
having an excellent academic record while working part-time or being a student athlete
Being a First Responder

I would caution you, like others have about your ECs. While solid, they certainly don't sell themselves. All of them are marked by achievement for participation, not productivity. Thus, everything comes down to your ability to sell them as being substantial. This is true for most people and their ECs, but that is why this is a cautionary. They don't 'distinguish' you by themselves.

I think that's a valid point you bring up. Without going too far into specifics, I have been able to "produce" a lot through my participation in some of my activities but I understand what you're saying about how participation doesn't necessarily equal production

Hopefully I can convey the significance of each activity.

Also sorry again to write "great". I absolutely didn't mean it in a way that would indicate that they were amazing by any standard. Just meant to say they were solid and from diverse fields.

Thank you everyone for your insightful feedback.

Reactions: 1 user