MD Low GPA/High MCAT school list help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

superintroduction

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just wanted to make a post to get some help making a school list consistent with my stats in order to maximize my chances of getting interviews. The whole process is really expensive and I have had to do some serious budgeting to even afford applications so I want to be able have a broad school list so that I can have a decent chance at getting interviews. I currently plan on applying to around 60 schools. More info is below.

1. cGPA: 3.38 sGPA: 3.12
  2. MCAT: 528
  3. Washington resident
  4. Pakistani male
  5. University of Washington
  6. 2,000 hours as a family med and derm scribe, hospital volunteering: 600 hours at least, hospice volunteering: 200 hours, free clinic volunteering: 120 hours
  7. Research experience: 800 hours in a pathology lab with 1 poster
  8. Shadowing experience: 100 hours total under otolaryngology and oncology/general surgery
  9. Non-clinical volunteering: 500 hours working with a non profit that serves refuges and immigrant minorities
  10. Other: online tutor in gen chem, ochem, physics, calc, biochem, bio-150 hours, peer facilitator (teaching team) in molecular bio class-100 hours, an executive on a equity board on campus that works to create equal learning opportunities for all and educating campus on equity perspectives-400 hours
  11. Relevant honors or awards: Phi Theta Kappa member and National Society of Leadership and Success member
Any advice is helpful guys, thank you to anyone who replies in advance :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What was your major? Are you going to take postbac or SMP courses? The GPA/MCAT disparity will highlight your low sGPA, so what's your BCPM and any postbac/grad GPA?

If you are planning to spend money to 60 schools? You're definitely not approaching this application very strategically. I'd definitely include DO schools given your GPA, but you're already planning to shell out thousands on application fees... that's foolish.

Reactions: 1 users
What was your major? Are you going to take postbac or SMP courses? The GPA/MCAT disparity will highlight your low sGPA, so what's your BCPM and any postbac/grad GPA?

If you are planning to spend money to 60 schools? You're definitely not approaching this application very strategically. I'd definitely include DO schools given your GPA, but you're already planning to shell out thousands on application fees... that's foolish.

I am graduating undergrad this year as a biology major, I am only comfortable with applying to that many schools because the FAP has helped to reduce costs to an extent or I would've never been able to afford it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest these schools with your stats:
U Washington
Washington State
California University
California Northstate
Kaiser
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Tufts
Boston University
Hofstra
Einstein
Albany
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Rochester
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Pittsburgh
Case Western
Ohio State
Cincinnati
George Washington
Georgetown
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Wake Forest
Miami
USF Morsani
Central Florida
Florida Atlantic
Florida International
Tulane
TCU-UNT
Creighton
Loyola
Rush
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Washington University
Iowa
Indiana
Illinois
Apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July. If no interview by early November then apply to DO schools and include these:
TUCOM-CA
Western
PNWU-COM
CCOM
DMU-COM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
MU-COM
PCOM
LECOM
NYIT

Reactions: 1 users
I suggest these schools with your stats:
U Washington
Washington State
California University
California Northstate
Kaiser
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Tufts
Boston University
Hofstra
Einstein
Albany
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Rochester
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Pittsburgh
Case Western
Ohio State
Cincinnati
George Washington
Georgetown
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Wake Forest
Miami
USF Morsani
Central Florida
Florida Atlantic
Florida International
Tulane
TCU-UNT
Creighton
Loyola
Rush
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Washington University
Iowa
Indiana
Illinois
Apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July. If no interview by early November then apply to DO schools and include these:
TUCOM-CA
Western
PNWU-COM
CCOM
DMU-COM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
MU-COM
PCOM
LECOM
NYIT
Thank you! you're such a help and i really appreciate it

Just noting, by applying to 60 schools, you are willing to attend any of those schools for interviews, second-look weekends, and ultimately visits to pick apartments and starting school. You will easily overwhelm yourself with 60 schools' profiles and mission fits when you complete secondary applications.

Reactions: 1 user
Cut that list in half for MD schools. Do you have an upward trend at all? If you do, there are top-20 schools that reward reinvention. If not, you're an OK mid-tier applicant and your chances are best at state and DO schools. The perfect MCAT will catch a few people's eyes.

Reactions: 1 user