Low GPA (HYP undergrad), Nontrad, URM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

matchmeifyoucan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a URM (black) female, Ivy alum, non traditional (mid-20s) soon-to-be applicant.

I did not do so well in undergrad and barely scraped by with a 3.o cGPA (my science GPA fared much worse). I lacked direction, self-discipline, and confidence in myself, and my grades suffered. After graduating, I took 2 years to just live and find myself (I know; it's corny/cliche), and it was the best decision I have ever made for my academic and personal growth. If you want to know more about my situation and what I did, PM me, especially if you're URM, female, or just have low self-esteem (or are just plain curious). It was nothing revolutionary, though.

I'm currently in my first year of a postbac program at my state school and so far, so good.

If I can pull off a 4.0 or near 4.0 GPA in the postbac program and manage to get an equivalent of a ~35 or greater (I'm a good test-taker) on the new MCAT, what kind of schools am I looking at?

My expected GPA with a 4.0 postbac:
c: 3.29
s: 3.15

My ECs are pretty solid, I think.

I especially want to get into a Manhattan (MD) school, with Columbia being my top choice - though I am open to other places and DO since I know my GPA limits me. I live in the tri-state area.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you get a 520+ on the MCAT, you might find success at mid tiers even with your current GPA.

Reactions: 1 user
I would recommend focusing on making sure you do destroy the postbac and then come back when you have an MCAT score, though if you remain on the track you're on, you will likely do perfectly fine. Can't give you a list without an MCAT though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Keep doing well, get a decent MCAT score and I think you'll be just fine.

Thanks for the replies, guys. I'll keep on trucking along. :)

I really wish I did better in undergrad, but you can't change the past.

Your GPA also caries more weight if it's from Yale, because the other two are pretty well know grade inflators.

Your GPA also caries more weight if it's from Yale, because the other two are pretty well know grade inflators.

OP's GPA carries the most "weight" if from Princeton. Yale is one of the most inflated schools in the Ivy League (which isn't to say it isn't still difficult).