Low GPA. Lots of ECs. Very nervous

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cowboy9190

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

So I was wondering how my chances are looking for MD schools and DO schools. Im very nervous about my chances of getting into any allopathic school or osteopathic school.

My cumulative GPA is a 3.1
My science GPA is a 3.45
Post Bacc GPA 3.7
MCAT is a 33

I have several Ws, 1 F and 1 D in 2 science classes and have retaken general chemistry several times unforunately. I have had an upward trend since my senior year of undergrad and have done two years of post bacc.

My extracurriculars are as follows:

1. Student government intern for 1 year.
2. 240 hours of clinical experience including ER, Orthopedic nursing floor, and pediatrics
3. Volunteered in Africa for medically related activities
4. Pharmacy technician for half a year
5. Shadowed a DO and MD
6. Shadowed a physical therapist for a couple months
7. Have done 3 marathons and 3 triathlons.
8. Essay published in school's english textbook
9. Community service chair for my fraternity for 1 year (2 terms) and helped them win the National Service Award against 200 other chapters.
10. Researched at UCSF for 2 years on two research projects

So my general question is should i do an SMP? Im worried my chances of getting into medical school are very slim even though I have several extracurricular activities. Looking at the national averages for allopathic schools as well as osteopathic schools scare me =(.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

With three years of good grades, a good MCAT score, and excellent extracurriculars, I think it is reasonable for you to apply to DO medical schools now, as they have the reputation for looking at the whole application and not just automatically screening someone out for a low GPA. You could even have a chance at a less selective, very forgiving, in-state MD medical school, but I suspect you are from California, so that isn't possible. If you want to spend the time and money, an SMP with linkage might be your best shot at getting into an MD program.

Is it possible your GPA is significantly higher under the DO application "repeat-course grade replacement" policy? If you haven't figured it out yet, see: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=450050

Thanks for all of your inputs guys.

Appreciate it alot!!!