DO Low GPA, low MCAT, good EC's.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YungBrev

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just submitted my application to 10 DO schools and 2 MD schools. The MD schools are not happening, but I decided to apply to the school where I did my undergrad and a state school that I have lots of connections with. After submitting my application, I received my MCAT score, and it was the lowest it could have been from the preliminary percentile release. My grandfather has been affiliated with the MD school I discussed earlier for over 30 years and I had no choice in submitting an application there. My father attended KCU (DO) and has been donating since. My application seems pretty weak, and I thought about waiting a year to apply but figured if I can afford it I might as well try.

cGPA: 3.2
sGPA: 3.2
MCAT: 499
EC: 100's of hours of shadowing, several MD and DO letters of recommendation, 135 hours of hospital volunteering, 2 service trips, and a medical study abroad experience.

I'm not necessarily looking for "dude, you don't have a chance" comments, I realize my only chance is pretty much the legacy. What I am looking for is advice on what do do if I don't get in. I graduate in December with a degree in Human Physiology. If by then I have a pretty good idea that I don't get it, what should I do? Enroll part-time, take 2 science classes, study for the MCAT, take it early and send my application as soon as possible next cycle? I don't see myself being a guy who retakes the MCAT and kills it, maybe improve by a couple points, but nothing drastic. Just being realistic. Anyways, I would really appreciate any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

I just submitted my application to 10 DO schools and 2 MD schools. The MD schools are not happening, but I decided to apply to the school where I did my undergrad and a state school that I have lots of connections with. After submitting my application, I received my MCAT score, and it was the lowest it could have been from the preliminary percentile release. My grandfather has been affiliated with the MD school I discussed earlier for over 30 years and I had no choice in submitting an application there. My father attended KCU (DO) and has been donating since. My application seems pretty weak, and I thought about waiting a year to apply but figured if I can afford it I might as well try.

EC: 100's of hours of shadowing, several MD and DO letters of recommendation, 135 hours of hospital volunteering, 2 service trips, and a medical study abroad experience.

I'm not necessarily looking for "dude, you don't have a chance" comments, I realize my only chance is pretty much the legacy. What I am looking for is advice on what do do if I don't get in. I graduate in December with a degree in Human Physiology. If by then I have a pretty good idea that I don't get it, what should I do? Enroll part-time, take 2 science classes, study for the MCAT, take it early and send my application as soon as possible next cycle? I don't see myself being a guy who retakes the MCAT and kills it, maybe improve by a couple points, but nothing drastic. Just being realistic. Anyways, I would really appreciate any advice!

Do post-bac work. A 3.4/24 with an upward trend for example would help your cause more than boosting any EC's if you did post-bac work and aced it. Don't re-take the MCAT unless you have reason to believe you'll do considerably better.

Apply broadly to the new DO programs. A 3.2/24 is low but there are people who have gotten in with similar stats in the past. Knock the KCU interview out of the park assuming you get it, like you said that's where your odds are best.

Do post-bac work. A 3.4/24 with an upward trend for example would help your cause more than boosting any EC's if you did post-bac work and aced it. Don't re-take the MCAT unless you have reason to believe you'll do considerably better.

Apply broadly to the new DO programs. A 3.2/24 is low but there are people who have gotten in with similar stats in the past. Knock the KCU interview out of the park assuming you get it, like you said that's where your odds are best.

Thanks! I'm still confused about post-bacc. Is that a year-long or semester-long type thing? Do all schools offer it? If you could give me a little summary of post-bacc programs I'd really appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! I'm still confused about post-bacc. Is that a year-long or semester-long type thing? Do all schools offer it? If you could give me a little summary of post-bacc programs I'd really appreciate it!

Just do one at your school. Be a second degree student and keep taking upper level science classes and ace them. You could apply to a formal post-bacc as well but I feel like the former for what you need is simpler and gets the job done well.

The legacy aspect will net you a polite interview and then a polite but permanent spot on the wait list.

You may have some chances with the newest schools, Like wm Carey, ACOM and BCOM.

If you have any F/D/C science coursework, then retake them.

But the MCAT is more of an anchor to your chances than your GPA. I strongly suggest a retake if no love this cycle, but only if you can fix your deficits.

Reactions: 1 user