Low GPA, Med School Admission?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

H25S

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So heres some background, when I entered college my second semester in, I was dealing with some personal family emergencies, and ended up doing quite terribly. I know it's no excuse, but I'm trying to set my self up to get back in the game. I initially also thought that Dental was what I wanted to do, but I really feel like I have a passion for medicine.

Im currently sitting at a 2.97 GPA, with a little over 60 Credits and a completed AA degree. So far from my science pre reqs that I have taken (Bio 1, Bio 2, Chem 1) I have received all A's. I have about about two years left and my main question is, is it impossible for me to get into a medical school when the time comes? The low GPA is from my first year, and I definitely have an upward trend so far. (I tried calculating it out, and even if i get a 4.0 GPA my last 4-5 semesters, I would only come back up to a 3.4ish, and thats best case scenario)

I also have about 80 hours of shadowing a Neurologist and am trying to get some more clinical experience / shadowing. And have LOR set up from my Bio 1 teacher, and Neurologist whom I shadow for. Just some helpful advice or really any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Have you considered DO?

I've read up on it, and although MD seems to be preferred by most people, at the end of the day if i'm still a practicing doctor, then I'd say i'm definitely open to it. Would I have a chance for DO?

Members don't see this ad :)
I've read up on it, and although MD seems to be preferred by most people, at the end of the day if i'm still a practicing doctor, then I'd say i'm definitely open to it. Would I have a chance for DO?

Yes, if your GPA is a 3.2+ and you score a 505+ on the MCAT, you would be a competitive DO applicant.

Not as is but grade replacement is a much faster way to get the ole GPA up than having to get a million credits of A. DO schools accept grade replacement instead of averaging all grades, like MD schools do.

Not as is but grade replacement is a much faster way to get the ole GPA up than having to get a million credits of A. DO schools accept grade replacement instead of averaging all grades, like MD schools do.

I considered this but the issue is that I took my first two years and a local state college, and now Im transferring to the University of Central Florida. UCF's grade forgiveness policy is that they can only apply grade forgiveness is you originally took the course there as well.

It has nothing to do with where you are transferring. DO grade replacement happens after you apply through ACCOMS for DO school. Your uGPA and sGPA might be very different between your college and ACCOMS.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
It has nothing to do with where you are transferring. DO grade replacement happens after you apply through ACCOMS for DO school. Your uGPA and sGPA might be very different between your college and ACCOMS.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

So just to be clear, by retaking the course at a different university, it will help the overall GPA that medical schools will actually see. Also does it replace the grade or do they take the average of both?

If you're a FL resident and you can get your GPA around 3.3 and have a reasonable MCAT score, FSU and LECOM are good options.

So just to be clear, by retaking the course at a different university, it will help the overall GPA that medical schools will actually see. Also does it replace the grade or do they take the average of both?

For DO schools they take the most recent grade, regardless of your schools grade policy. For MD they average the two grades.

Also consider that sGPA is very important. If you are making all As in your sciences but have some random non science classes from freshman year dragging down your cumulative gpa that's survivable.

Finally, FL is a great state to be from. Between the 2 DO and 7 MD schools it is likely you will be able to find admission if you can put together an otherwise strong application. A 506+, good essays, and strong extracurriculars are the things you will need, along with a gpa of at least 3.2 (preferably higher though)

If you're a FL resident and you can get your GPA around 3.3 and have a reasonable MCAT score, FSU and LECOM are good options.

For DO schools they take the most recent grade, regardless of your schools grade policy. For MD they average the two grades.

Also consider that sGPA is very important. If you are making all As in your sciences but have some random non science classes from freshman year dragging down your cumulative gpa that's survivable.

Finally, FL is a great state to be from. Between the 2 DO and 7 MD schools it is likely you will be able to find admission if you can put together an otherwise strong application. A 506+, good essays, and strong extracurriculars are the things you will need, along with a gpa of at least 3.2 (preferably higher though)

Alright that was really helpful, I really appreciate the advice. Ill definitely look into it, thank you.

The fastest path for you to become a doctor will be to retake all F/D/C science coursework, do well on MCAT, and apply to DO schools.

IF you're boning for the MD degree, there are MD schools that reward reinvention. You'll need to ace all the classic pre-reqs, and ace either a post-bac (which can be DIY) or a SMP, ideally one given at a med school. Then also ace MCAT (513 or better, 33+ on the old scale).

Do not apply until you have the best possible app. This is a marathon, not a sprint. Med schools aren't going anywhere, and, in fact, by the time you apply, several more schools will have opened their doors.

So heres some background, when I entered college my second semester in, I was dealing with some personal family emergencies, and ended up doing quite terribly. I know it's no excuse, but I'm trying to set my self up to get back in the game. I initially also thought that Dental was what I wanted to do, but I really feel like I have a passion for medicine.

Im currently sitting at a 2.97 GPA, with a little over 60 Credits and a completed AA degree. So far from my science pre reqs that I have taken (Bio 1, Bio 2, Chem 1) I have received all A's. I have about about two years left and my main question is, is it impossible for me to get into a medical school when the time comes? The low GPA is from my first year, and I definitely have an upward trend so far. (I tried calculating it out, and even if i get a 4.0 GPA my last 4-5 semesters, I would only come back up to a 3.4ish, and thats best case scenario)

I also have about 80 hours of shadowing a Neurologist and am trying to get some more clinical experience / shadowing. And have LOR set up from my Bio 1 teacher, and Neurologist whom I shadow for. Just some helpful advice or really any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thank you.

DO takes the new score. MD averages. The retake course has to be equal or more hours and cover the same subject matter.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

You should consider DO... Most patients don't know the difference.

I just got into my states MD school with a 3.48 I went from 3 years at a 2.9-3.1 to 3 years at a 3.9-4.0. I ended up taking longer because I switched my major when I decided to shoot for medicine. Luckily my sgpa was solid at a 3.78 because I didn't take many science classes before being pre med. It is definitely possible if you get good clinical experience and do well on the mcat. I had a 512 which Is solid but I bet some kids on this forum would say I needed 515+ with that gpa. Get good letters of recommendation and sell your story and you can def do it! Just get straight a's from here on out no matter what.

Also, I'm not an URM
Had >1000 hours of clinical experience and other interesting extracurriculars but the bottom line it isn't impossible if you really sell yourself.

Last edited: