Low GPA NonTrad School List/Worth applying?

Started by tevvie
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

tevvie

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,

I am in a strange situation making a school list (and even deciding if it is worth applying this cycle) due to my background and very low GPA. I don't have a strong preference for a specific school, and was planning on applying across the US to both DO and MD programs. Ideally I would want to avoid anything that has a gpa cutoff.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!
Background:
Demographic: Asian Male
Graduated from a 6 year pharmD program, so the gpa calculations are kinda different per school.
cGPA (6yrs):~3.2 cGPA (4yrs): ~3.0 sGPA: 2.9~3.0 depending on which classes
MCAT:511
LOR: 6, 2 DO, 1 MD, 3 PharmD. Should be very strong letters.
State of residence: NJ

Clinical volunteering: I have been a mentor for two pharmacy students who are interested in the ED for a year through a program by ACCP. I also participate in CV and poster mentor programs through ASHP. Have also worked at various health fairs and a smoking cessation program where we have small group education sessions for one year.

Nonclinical volunteering: 3 years at a children's youth camp as a counselor and assisted with planning of outreach events. 1 year at a cancer hospital in India where I also helped develop a summer camp for high school and college students to volunteer at.

-I have 14 clinical research projects completed or in progress. I have just completed a double blinded randomized control trial at my hospital, and am currently writing up the manuscript. I currently have 4 publications with 2 more submitted to various journals. I have 10-11 posters and platform presentations at a wide range of conferences, from local conferences to international conferences like SCCM and ID week. All of my work is split 65/35 between being primary author or co-author.

-I have about 100 hours of shadowing experience between an emergency medicine physician and nephrologist (both DOs)

-I currently teach and am a preceptor for pharmacy students and pharmacy residents. I have also taught 4 classes at a pharmacy schools.

-I have completed two years of pharmacy residency and have work full time as an emergency medicine clinical pharmacist. I am on about 6 different hospital and health system committees and have written several policies.

Tagging @LizzyM @gyngyn @Goro (Sorry!) @Faha for advice.