Low GPA Older Applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ClinicalAbsorption

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am a 27 year old currently working as a research tech. I finished my Bio undergrad at Rutgers University with a sGPA of 2.6 and cGPA of 3.0. I was a very unmotivated student and rarely studied. After graduating, I took a job as a Medical Assistant for 2 years during which I decided to refocus and try for med school despite my poor undergrad performance. I enrolled in the Rutgers Master of Biomedical Sciences Program and graduated with a 3.97 GPA. Currently I am prepping for MCATs while working as a research tech and have been regularly scoring ~520 on my full lengths. What do you think of my chances? Will the improved GPA from the Masters program and the MCAT be enough to overcome the low uGPA? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on the MCAT score. Post your score here when available and we can give a list of schools where you can apply.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all,

I am a 27 year old currently working as a research tech. I finished my Bio undergrad at Rutgers University with a sGPA of 2.6 and cGPA of 3.0. I was a very unmotivated student and rarely studied. After graduating, I took a job as a Medical Assistant for 2 years during which I decided to refocus and try for med school despite my poor undergrad performance. I enrolled in the Rutgers Master of Biomedical Sciences Program and graduated with a 3.97 GPA. Currently I am prepping for MCATs while working as a research tech and have been regularly scoring ~520 on my full lengths. What do you think of my chances? Will the improved GPA from the Masters program and the MCAT be enough to overcome the low uGPA? Thanks.
MCAT of 513+: many MD schools and all DO
MCAT of 510: your state schools and all DO
MCAT of 505+ all DO
MCAT < 505: newest DO schools.

There are many MD schools that reward reinvention.

Thank you for your reply. It is good to know that my undergrad GPA will hold me back forever. I will post again when I receive a MCAT score. Thank you!