DO Low gpa, Prob avg MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futurestrip

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have a ~3.3 cgpa and ~3.5 sgpa been averaging around 509 MCAT on practice tests but not taking it till sept so cant apply till october. Im a ORM from NJ. Biomedical Engineering major.

Have pretty ****ty ECs
  • around 50 hrs shadowing two primary care physicians
  • some hospital hrs
  • bunch of community service at my church
  • some other school/college related ECs
2 LORS from profs and 1 from MD
thats about it :(

Is applying in october too late for me? Gonna apply broadly. My sgpa is relatively higher but its cause I took a bunch of science classes at CC. Is that gonna hurt me?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Applying in October is too late for the MD cycle, especially with your GPA. You would be fine to apply to DO schools in October assuming your MCAT is over 500. You also need more shadowing and clinical volunteering hours which you could accumulate this coming year for your application next year.

Reactions: 1 user
Why would you apply very late in October with a low cGPA and as you said ****ty ECs ? Not good judgement. Work on those ECs, see how you do on the MCAT and apply day one next cycle. If you are applying DO, @Goro always says the DO cycle is longer, but you still have the EC issue that isn't going to go away without some hard work on your part.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry I meant to say that I'm only applying DO. Also do u think taking a bunch of science classes at CC are gonna look bad?

Keep in mind that DO schools are even more focused on ECs and many other applicants have way more experience in healthcare than what you have provided. Might not bode well for Adcoms with those stats.

Just got my score back! Got a 516 (129/126/131/130). What do you guys think? How do look applying this late with a low cgpa and lackluster ECs?