Low GPA, Retake Courses Question for DPT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

greencrescent

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, It's been over 2 years since I have graduated as an undergrad, unfortunately I have not taken my undergrad too seriously and I was pre-med at the time. It turns out I have received a very poor overall GPA and Science, my overall is around a 2.7, and my science gpa is below a 2.5. Recently I have worked as a Physical Therapist Aid, and I have really enjoyed the field, I would like to go for D.P.T. school and hopefully become a physical therapist. I have a question regarding retaking pre-req courses.

All of my pre-req courses for D.P.T. programs are a C and above, however since I have taken soo many science courses as an undergrad and did poorly on them, I have a very low science GPA. Should I retake the pre-req science courses and hopefully do better, also would a new grade replace the old one? Or do Physical Therapy schools just average out the two grades?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I'm in the same boat as you expect my GPA and pre req is 3.0. I would say my best advice is to remake all your pre reqs (the ones you got C's in) and take them at a different institute. Perhaps you have a community college near by. Also, try to fill your applications with extracurricular activities. Volunteer. Get involved. It may suck but look into a 2nd degree (Biology, Kinesiology, Health Promotion) and justify how well you did once you took your schooling seriously and how committed you are. You may have to get more loan money but it can't be helped. Good luck

Your best bet is to retake your prereq courses for B+s or more and reapply. Specifically anat and phys since that's pretty much what pt's all about. Try to ace that. That's what I did and it worked for me :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Keep in mind that each school is different on how they calculate pre-requisite GPAs when you retake them. Some average the two together. Others take the higher of the grades. You'll have to check with the individual school's to see how they handle it.

Hi, It's been over 2 years since I have graduated as an undergrad, unfortunately I have not taken my undergrad too seriously and I was pre-med at the time. It turns out I have received a very poor overall GPA and Science, my overall is around a 2.7, and my science gpa is below a 2.5. Recently I have worked as a Physical Therapist Aid, and I have really enjoyed the field, I would like to go for D.P.T. school and hopefully become a physical therapist. I have a question regarding retaking pre-req courses.

All of my pre-req courses for D.P.T. programs are a C and above, however since I have taken soo many science courses as an undergrad and did poorly on them, I have a very low science GPA. Should I retake the pre-req science courses and hopefully do better, also would a new grade replace the old one? Or do Physical Therapy schools just average out the two grades?

Hey,

If you are REALLY considering getting your DPT, and it sounds like you are there are several steps I would take to show Admission Committees that you have "turned the corner." First, identify the programs where you think you may want to apply. I say do this because each school is relatively unique as to how they decide who gets in and who doesn't. What one school values highly may not always be the same for another. Secondly, I would re-take all of the core prerequisite courses in which you received a C or below. This will show schools that you are committed to the "process" and that you are willing to sacrifice. You seem to have some experience in PT, which can only help you in the application process. Finally, prepare well for the GRE and aim for a strong score. Best wishes to you moving forward!

so my plan is to take next year off (i'm currently a senior) to finish prereqs but want to get some done this summer because I will be applying in the fall. I have a b+ in anat 1 b in anat 2 an C+ in bio 1. Should I spend my time retaking bio 1 for a better grade and follow with bio 2 this summer? Or should keep the bio 1 and take chem 1 and 2 this summer. Basically when I apply in the fall is it better to have more grades in and have chem, anatomy, and half of bio done with just bio 2 and physics left or is it better to apply with a better grade in bio 1 and have less courses for the schools to see (just having anat 1 and 2 done and bio 1). I'm a psych major and have good grades in stats and psych courses. I also have 3.47 regular gpa and will have about 150-200 hours in a rehab hospital outpatient clinic, and pro bono clinic. I played college basketball for 3 years and stopped bc of injury and am going on mission trip this may. Thanks for any advice!

Should I spend my time retaking bio 1 for a better grade and follow with bio 2 this summer? Or should keep the bio 1 and take chem 1 and 2 this summer. Basically when I apply in the fall is it better to have more grades in and have chem, anatomy, and half of bio done with just bio 2 and physics left or is it better to apply with a better grade in bio 1 and have less courses for the schools to see (just having anat 1 and 2 done and bio 1).

I don't think it matters either way. Sign up for the courses you can take. Just finish your classes with B's or better as soon as you can. It's going to take the same amount of time one way or the other. You can always update your transcript.