Low GPA? Scared of applying to pharmacy school? Read me.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IcePhoenix

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a first year pharmacy student. Like a lot of you, I was incredibly scared and very nervous to apply. I graduated undergrad with a non science degree and a 2.2GPA. I figured my dreams where shot. I decided to take some classes, but because I already had 200+ credits, 4.0 semesters meant minuscule improvements in GPA for me. I took the PCAT and got a 64 my first time around. But I didn't quit and didn't give up. I took more classes, got my GPA up to a 2.55 which, after PharmCAS, was reduced to a 2.45. I retook the PCAT and got a 91. I only applied to 4 schools, and got interviews for 2, and was accepted to my top choice.

I realize this is not typical. But don't let people tell you that because you don't have a 3.5 GPA you are hopeless. You are not! There are many schools that take you with a 2.5 minimum, some will even work with you if you meet other criteria. Do not be discouraged! Try your best! If you want it you can do it!

I attached my list from last year of schools that required a 2.5 minimum. It's obviously not been updated, but I hope it helps you! Keep in mind, doing other things to strengthen your application is good as well. When I applied, I had 6 years experience as a pharm tech in retail concurrent with 1 year of experience in hospital pharmacy. I had awesome LORs, and a great PCAT score. Compensate elsewhere.

Good luck!

pg1.JPG
pg2.JPG
pg3.JPG

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Way to go! I was in a similar situation. I had a poor undergrad performance and retook the science prereqs at the community college after a 5 year break and got a 3.94 GPA. When PharmCAS calculated my grades, I barely made the 2.5 minimum GPA cutoff. Whew!

Reactions: 1 users
PharmCAS is nerve recking! But thank you!! I honestly did not make the 2.5 cut off and still got in! I just finished my first semester of pharmacy school with a 3.74. Best of luck to you!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am applying this cycle and worried about my pharmcas. I got a decent PCAT score(88), but my cumulative GPA is 2.9(didn't change it to pharmcas). Hopefully I can get into a good school in Florida

Pharmcas dropped by GPA significantly, it's low but slightly above the minimum. I just visited a Pharmacy school and they mentioned that they lowered their GPA because they noticed that during interviews that GPA didn't fully represent the person they saw on paper.

I am a first year pharmacy student. Like a lot of you, I was incredibly scared and very nervous to apply. I graduated undergrad with a non science degree and a 2.2GPA. I figured my dreams where shot. I decided to take some classes, but because I already had 200+ credits, 4.0 semesters meant minuscule improvements in GPA for me. I took the PCAT and got a 64 my first time around. But I didn't quit and didn't give up. I took more classes, got my GPA up to a 2.55 which, after PharmCAS, was reduced to a 2.45. I retook the PCAT and got a 91. I only applied to 4 schools, and got interviews for 2, and was accepted to my top choice.

I realize this is not typical. But don't let people tell you that because you don't have a 3.5 GPA you are hopeless. You are not! There are many schools that take you with a 2.5 minimum, some will even work with you if you meet other criteria. Do not be discouraged! Try your best! If you want it you can do it!

I attached my list from last year of schools that required a 2.5 minimum. Tis obviously not been updated, but I hope it helps you! Keep in mind, doing other things to strengthen your application is good as well. When I applied, I had 6 years experience as a pharm tech in retail concurrent with 1 year of experience in hospital pharmacy. I had awesome LORs, and a great PCAT score. Compensate elsewhere.

Good luck!

View attachment 187965 View attachment 187966 View attachment 187967

wow... !!!!! I am just speechless !!!!!!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Pharmcas dropped by GPA significantly, Tis low but slightly above the minimum. I just visited a Pharmacy school and they mentioned that they lowered their GPA because they noticed that during interviews that GPA didn't fully represent the person they saw on paper.

They only lowered their GPA because no one is applying to pharmacy schools and because you have a $200 k student loan check from the government

How are you going to do well in pharmacy school and find time to work and network when you can only obtain a 2.2 GPA during undergrad?

They only lowered their GPA because no one is applying to pharmacy schools and because you have a $200 k student loan check from the government

How are you going to do well in pharmacy school and find time to work and network when you can only obtain a 2.2 GPA during undergrad?

@BMBiology : you are freaking right !!!

Pharmcas dropped by GPA significantly, Tis low but slightly above the minimum. I just visited a Pharmacy school and they mentioned that they lowered their GPA because they noticed that during interviews that GPA didn't fully represent the person they saw on paper.

that is how they are selling pharmacy seats these days ?? They are probably lying both to themselves and the students at the same time... Even more amazing is that there are people who actually believe this... sad...

it shouldn't be this easy... gotta agree with oldstock with this ._. If it wasn't because I can get my own independent store after I graduate, I wouldn't consider pharmacy.
@BMBiology : you are freaking right !!!

that is how they are selling pharmacy seats these days ?? They are probably lying both to themselves and the students at the same time... Even more amazing is that there are people who actually believe this... sad...

Gotta agree lol...

I'm confused? Where did I say I have a 2.2 GPA? Also, the curriculum will ween people out believe me. Someone gets in and can't hack it they won't make it, simple as that.

What schools did you guys get accepted to ? I still have a year or so before I graduate with my bachelors but I'm getting discouraged because so many others stats are much higher than mine. I enjoy reading stories like these to know GPA isn't everything and like to know I still have a fighting chance. I will continue to work hard and do my best for my remainder of my time at my university left but its always nice to know what schools I have the best chance of getting in are. Thanks :)

What schools did you guys get accepted to ? I still have a year or so before I graduate with my bachelors but I'm getting discouraged because so many others stats are much higher than mine. I enjoy reading stories like these to know GPA isn't everything and like to know I still have a fighting chance. I will continue to work hard and do my best for my remainder of my time at my university left but its always nice to know what schools I have the best chance of getting in are. Thanks :)

Do you have a pulse? Are you willing to pay a lot of money for pharmacy school? If you answered yes to both questions, then you'll get accepted. /sarcasm

Jokes aside, I had a 2.9 GPA and a 91 composite on the PCAT and got in. My GPA and composite, with respect to my class, was 0.4 points lower and over 25 points higher, respectively. I busted my ass in undergrad and I still came out with a below-average GPA. Now, I have like a 3-point something GPA in pharmacy school (don't know the exact number, but that's beside the point) but I'm studying less than I did in undergrad and on top of that I'm working anywhere between 20-40 hours a week during the school year. I'm still keeping up with the class.

Do you have a pulse? Are you willing to pay a lot of money for pharmacy school? If you answered yes to both questions, then you'll get accepted. /sarcasm

Jokes aside, I had a 2.9 GPA and a 91 composite on the PCAT and got in. My GPA and composite, with respect to my class, was 0.4 points lower and over 25 points higher, respectively. I busted my ass in undergrad and I still came out with a below-average GPA. Now, I have like a 3-point something GPA in pharmacy school (don't know the exact number, but that's beside the point) but I'm studying less than I did in undergrad and on top of that I'm working anywhere between 20-40 hours a week during the school year. I'm still keeping up with the class.
I have a similar situation, 2.9 GPA 88 Composite(scored really really low in verbal, but high in other areas). I also took 15-17 credits a semester in a heavy science based degree and busted my ass to do my best, but ended with a below-average GPA. I hope to get into some of the schools I am applying for this cycle.

I have a similar situation, 2.9 GPA 88 Composite(scored really really low in verbal, but high in other areas). I also took 15-17 credits a semester in a heavy science based degree and busted my ass to do my best, but ended with a below-average GPA. I hope to get into some of the schools I am applying for this cycle.

You'll get in somewhere as long as you applied to a decent number of schools. If they're reasonable in price, then all the better.

You'll get in somewhere as long as you applied to a decent number of schools. If they're reasonable in price, then all the better.
ye, most schools in FL, I am very competitive(except maybe UF, just average zzz)

this is effing sad thread.... anybody with community college credits can enter pharm schools nowadays. eff the minimum gpa and bs they put on pharmcas. PHARM SCHOOLS WILL TAKE ANYONE EVENTUALLY. You pre-pharm ppl gotta realize pharmacy is going downhill and schools are just busy accepting dumb ass ppl to get money.. heed my word..

this is effing sad thread.... anybody with community college credits can enter pharm schools nowadays. eff the minimum gpa and bs they put on pharmcas. PHARM SCHOOLS WILL TAKE ANYONE EVENTUALLY. You pre-pharm ppl gotta realize pharmacy is going downhill and schools are just busy accepting dumb ass ppl to get money.. heed my word..

I, as a preceptor, know first hand how dumb the current students are from the new pharmacy schools out there. They'll just about take anyone nowadays... even those that can barely speak/write in English.

They may have required GPA of 2.5, but those higher tier schools, like UK, is never going to admit that low. Their PCAT composite that they aim for is a 70% and their GPA average is upwards of 3.7.

Last edited: