Low GPA Sorta-High DAT Reapplicant Chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DK2

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm reapplying this year as I only got one interview offer last cycle (and no admissions) for the 2019-2020 cycle.
I did apply pretty late last time; completed applications around early October 2019.

Sciences GPA: 3.16 (3.22 with Transfer credit)
Overall GPA: 3.22 (3.16 with Transfer credit)
DAT: AA-25 TS-22 (21/26/22) RC-26 QR-30 PAT-21

Changed from last cycle:
- Graduated and earned a B.S. in Molecular Cell Biology from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- 75 --> 100+ shadowing hours
- Slightly higher Science GPA.
- Currently employed Full-time at a Biotech company developing Covid-19 testing machines
- Polished my personal statement (mostly changing the wording)
- Included some extracurriculars I forgot to add last time
- Applied to more private schools rather than public schools

Permanent Illinois Resident but working in NJ and paying NJ taxes

Schools I'm Applying to:
Harvard (lol), USC, SIUE, UIC, Marquette, NYU, Roseman, Nova Southeastern, Touro, UoP, WesternU, UBUFF, UCSF, UKentucky, Tufts, UPenn, Rutgers

This time, I submitted my applications to about 16 schools (sent out roughly 12 last cycle) right at midnight of June 16th 2020 and have been sending in payments before (if given the option) and after June 16.
I'm pretty discouraged from last cycle and I would like your all's input. Do you think I have shot at getting interviews this time around?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Apply early and to schools within your range and you should be fine. For reference I had several interviews 2 yrs ago when I applied and I had a 3.19 sgpa and 21aa/ts

Reactions: 2 users
Apply early and to schools within your range and you should be fine. For reference I had several interviews 2 yrs ago when I applied and I had a 3.19 sgpa and 21aa/ts

What schools did you apply to if you don't mind me asking? I have roughly the same stats

Members don't see this ad :)
What schools did you apply to if you don't mind me asking? I have roughly the same stats
I did the higher end (~17-20) bc everyone on SDN was saying I practically had no shot lol. I can not remember them all, but I do remember the schools I had interviews at.
AT Still MO, Indiana, UNE, MWUIL, MWUAZ, Touro, Tufts, western

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
You only got 1 interview with a 25 AA after applying to 20 schools?

That's crazy talk

Last edited:
You only got 1 interview with a 25 AA after applying to 20 schools?

That's crazy talk
Yea I was surprised to hear that as well. My only guess is maybe you didnt apply to the correct amount of schools or right school? Also applying late probably didnt help your chances, but I would have still guessed you would have gotten more

Yea I was surprised to hear that as well. My only guess is maybe you didnt apply to the correct amount of schools or right school? Also applying late probably didnt help your chances, but I would have still guessed you would have gotten more

Yeah I'm guessing the October application definitely hurt him, but still with a 25 AA you would expect schools to give him a shot. I'm genuinely surprised.

Although I re-read OP's post and he didn't mention how many schools he applied to last cycle, only that he applied to 16 this cycle. So maybe he didn't apply broadly enough + late application + lowish gpa = rejection

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah I'm guessing the October application definitely hurt him, but still with a 25 AA you would expect schools to give him a shot. I'm genuinely surprised.

Although I re-read OP's post and he didn't mention how many schools he applied to last cycle, only that he applied to 16 this cycle. So maybe he didn't apply broadly enough + late application + lowish gpa = rejection

Yeh I applied to like 12.
Nebraska, SIUE (offered interview), UIC, UPENN, Western, Touro, Rutgers, UoPacific, UCSF, Stonybrook, cant remember the rest

I didn't take into consideration that public schools heavily favored in-state applicants, so I applied to more private schools this time around.

Yeh I applied to like 12.
Nebraska, SIUE (offered interview), UIC, UPENN, Western, Touro, Rutgers, UoPacific, UCSF, Stonybrook, cant remember the rest

I didn't take into consideration that public schools heavily favored in-state applicants, so I applied to more private schools this time around.

Ya that might have been your problem. Some of those schools are very competitive! No worries though, apply to more schools within your range this cycle and you should be good!

You’ll most likely get accepted this cycle if you apply smart. You applied too late in the previous cycle to get interviews, so that’s good that you applied early this time. Be sure you’re applying to your in state schools and out of state friendly schools (which are often private schools). You can find this info easily by looking up in the “adea guide to dental schools“ how many seats were offered last year at each school to students in your state. And ideally, you could compare these numbers to an old adea guide from a previous year. Like you, I had a high DAT low overall GPA so I felt 14-15 schools was a safe bet, if you’re willing to spend the extra time/$.

You’ll most likely get accepted this cycle if you apply smart. You applied too late in the previous cycle to get interviews, so that’s good that you applied early this time. Be sure you’re applying to your in state schools and out of state friendly schools (which are often private schools). You can find this info easily by looking up in the “adea guide to dental schools“ how many seats were offered last year at each school to students in your state. And ideally, you could compare these numbers to an old adea guide from a previous year. Like you, I had a high DAT low overall GPA so I felt 14-15 schools was a safe bet, if you’re willing to spend the extra time/$.

Thank your for your insight--
Admittedly I didn't know such a guide existed but I will make use of it.
I saw that UIC (I'm an Illinois resident) has 68/70 of their incoming class as residents and I know SIUE also heavily favors Illinois so I'm hopeful and crossing my fingers I get interviews for them this year.

Where did you say you interviewed? Was it your in-state? If it's IL state of residence, obviously the I-80 boundary could dictate whether SIU or UIC wants to take a shot at you. That said, grades still matter (high DAT, low GPA often will highlight the disparity more than help you), but so are the nuances (most recent coursework GPA).

Where did you say you interviewed? Was it your in-state? If it's IL state of residence, obviously the I-80 boundary could dictate whether SIU or UIC wants to take a shot at you. That said, grades still matter (high DAT, low GPA often will highlight the disparity more than help you), but so are the nuances (most recent coursework GPA).
I interviewed at SIUE in January 2020.
And what is the I-80 boundary? I-80 as in Interstate 80? I don't understand how that would apply.

I interviewed at SIUE in January 2020.
And what is the I-80 boundary? I-80 as in Interstate 80? I don't understand how that would apply.
SIU favors residents that are below the I-80 interstate, they want applicants from rural, small towns and suburbs

Reactions: 1 users
SIU favors residents that are below the I-80 interstate, they want applicants from rural, small towns and suburbs

Ooohhh yeah okay then. My permanent residence is in Champaign-Urbana so that's in my favor.

Ooohhh yeah okay then. My permanent residence is in Champaign-Urbana so that's in my favor.
I won't consider Champaign urbana rural ( class of 2017) but you are in a better spot than applicants from cook county haha

• Haha
I won't consider Champaign urbana rural ( class of 2017)

UIUC is literally in the middle of a cornfield hahahaha

To be fair though we do have an Aspen dental

Reactions: 2 users
UIUC is literally in the middle of a cornfield hahahaha

To be fair though we do have an Aspen dental
most of the midwest is cornfield or soy haha
having travel through the region in my previous job, Champaign is a big town in my eyes

I have similar stats and not feeling great about my chances. Are you a URM by any chance?