MD & DO low GPA, URM and medical withdrawal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

targaryen-D

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good Morning SDN!

I'm having trouble figuring out what my next step should be if anyone could give me some advice.
I am an AA female with a 3.33 cGPA, a 3.16 sGPA and 508 MCAT score. I qualified for the fee assistance programs for AMCAs and AACOMAS and my mom is considered below the poverty line. Last semester I had to medically withdraw from my classes (which I was depending on to bump up my GPA). I had to have multiple tumors removed from my body after I lost the ability to use my right arm. I'm not sure if this would look bad to adcoms even though I have regained full mobility. I don't want schools to think of me as a liability.

My EC's
- Wish Granter for Make-A-Wish foundation
- Over ~200 comm serv hours with make a wish
- Vice President of my sorority
- Medical scribe in the ED x 1.5 years
- Waitress x 3 years before scribing
- Shadowed a neurosurgeon (M.D) ~60 hours
- DO and MD LOR

Pretty much I want to know if I should even attempt to apply MD, just apply DO or do a post-bacc? I don't want to apply if I have no chance of getting in.

Also I know I have to mention my medical condition and I wanted to show that I overcame that but should I include it in my personal statement?

Members don't see this ad.

or should I just wait till the next cycle and take my summer/fall classes to bring my GPA to a 3.4?

Members don't see this ad :)
You can apply now with your current stats. Apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July. Consider all these schools:
All 7 of your Florida MD schools. Add NOVA MD if it opens for 2018
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
Tulane
St. Louis
Rosalind Franklin
Oakland Beaumont
New York Medical College
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
GW
Georgetown
Quinnipiac

Reactions: 1 users
You can apply now with your current stats. Apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July. Consider all these schools:
All 7 of your Florida MD schools. Add NOVA MD if it opens for 2018
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
Tulane
St. Louis
Rosalind Franklin
Oakland Beaumont
New York Medical College
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson