WAMC- low mcat URM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marie909

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all! As you’ll probably be able to tell from my info below, I show a great interest in giving back to my own community (AA female) through my job, ECs and volunteering. It’s been my dream to attend an HBCU for medical school from the time that I decided I wanted to become a physician. I just got my MCAT score back and I am distraught. I obviously know it’s not a good score by any means, but do I have even a small chance at an hbcu or DO? I’m also an African American woman.

-cgpa: 3.48
-sgpa: 3.2
-mcat: 497
-B.A Biology
-Africana studies minor

-President of my university’s Black Student Alliance (biggest political org and black org on campus for 2 years

- assistant teacher at a preschool in an underserved community (1 year- left bc i graduated and moved but loved it)

-author of a published newsletter on health and wellbeing

-Clinical hours: 250 as a CNA during height of covid

-Clinical volunteering: current EMT at local firehouse (the town that the rescue squad is in is affluent but most of the towns surrounding towns that we get called to are incredibly underserved) 400 hours (still volunteering). Also part of the medical ministry at my church (tend to any medical emergencies that may occur and do periodic medical presentations to the congregations ex. Heart health month)

- 1 year and probably about 100 hours of biochem research…no publications but one poster presentation but I don’t even know it I should mention it bc I left the lab after a year
-shadowing: -25 hours with ER doctor

-Sunday school teacher at a diverse church

- non clinical volunteer work has mostly been through Black Student Alliance (volunteering as an org through projects I led- soup kitchens, coat drives, mentoring middle school and high school students from underserved communities, black history events on campus ) and being a Sunday school teacher.. like 500 hours total

-I also have quite strong LORs that talk about my experiences from 2 well respected doctors, two science professors and 1 from the faculty advisor of the Black Student Alliance

-also just started a job as a fertility coordinator at a private practice working under an obgyn

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
You could receive interviews at a few MD schools as well as some DO schools.
I suggest these schools with your stats:
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
UCLA Drew
Charles Drew (new school in California)
SUNY Buffalo
Albany
New York Medical College
Hackensack
Wayne State
Oakland Beaumont
Rosalind Franklin
Indiana
Vermont
For DO schools apply to these:
PCOM (all schools)
LECOM (all schools)
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
MU-COM
VCOM (all 4 schools)
LMU-DCOM
ACOM
WCU-COM
NYIT-AR
ARCOM
UIWSOM
BCOM
KHSC-COM (new school)
Orlando (new school) when it opens
Noorda-COM
Most of these DO schools have MCAT medians in the 498 to 502 range so you should receive interviews.

Reactions: 1 user

I think I would add KCUCOM and Touro COM to this list. Touro is especially trying to recruit more URM students. And as a current KCU first year I know classmates with similar MCATs and GPAs.

I suggest these schools with your stats:
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
UCLA Drew
Charles Drew (new school in California)
SUNY Buffalo
Albany
New York Medical College
Hackensack
Wayne State
Oakland Beaumont
Rosalind Franklin
Indiana
Vermont
For DO schools apply to these:
PCOM (all schools)
LECOM (all schools)
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
MU-COM
VCOM (all 4 schools)
LMU-DCOM
ACOM
WCU-COM
NYIT-AR
ARCOM
UIWSOM
BCOM
KHSC-COM (new school)
Orlando (new school) when it opens
Noorda-COM
Most of these DO schools have MCAT medians in the 498 to 502 range so you should receive interviews.
Wow this is helpful, thank you!

I think I would add KCUCOM and Touro COM to this list. Touro is especially trying to recruit more URM students. And as a current KCU first year I know classmates with similar MCATs and GPAs.
Thanks!