Low GPA with somewhat average OAT scores ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

startlearn

Reaction score
Do you think I have the chance to get in this round? Still applying. ?
I just take OAt today, Biology was very difficult ( I thought should be better).
OAT scores:
Bio: 300 (44 %)
RC: 300 (28%)
OC: 310 (58%)
GC: 340 (74%)
PHY: 340 (90%)
QR: 370 (92)
TS: 330 (74%)
AA: 330 (74).
but my GPA very low, around 2.7 only. (all the prerequisite were C above)
4 months opto tech working experience with a lot of Opto Volunteer experience.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
The GPA will make it difficult, and ideally the OAT should be higher as you said.
I think you still have a chance, but there are things that can be improved. Did you go to a competitive undergraduate institution? I think that will help.

The GPA will make it difficult, and ideally the OAT should be higher as you said.
I think you still have a chance, but there are things that can be improved. Did you go to a competitive undergraduate institution? I think that will help.

yes my university is very competitive. that's help?
thanks for your response.

Members don't see this ad :)
Be prepared to explain the disconnect between your GPA and OAT.
2.7 is a C/C+ average. Realize that you're going to have a heavier course load of ALL science classes.

You will benefit from the fact that there are too many optometry schools and not enough good candidates.

Have you retaken any classes? If it’s at the same school then OptomCAS takes the most recent grade when doing gpa calculations. Just thought it might be helpful:) if I were you, I’d retake the OAT one more time and aim for a higher score. There has to be something in the app to make them take a double look or call for an interview when you’re dealing with a low gpa.

Have you retaken any classes? If it’s at the same school then OptomCAS takes the most recent grade when doing gpa calculations. Just thought it might be helpful:) if I were you, I’d retake the OAT one more time and aim for a higher score. There has to be something in the app to make them take a double look or call for an interview when you’re dealing with a low gpa.

thank you so much for all of the advise

do they take into account the science GPA more so than your cumulative GPA?