Low GPA with turnaround

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mattius

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I attended university as a philosophy major for three years and failed out with a 1.67 overall GPA. I then went to community college part time for two years. I was readmitted to the same university and aside from having a 2.7 GPA first semester back, I have had a 4.0 since (two years). In summary, My first 80 credits were mostly general education requirements and humanities and averaged a 1.67. My more recent 70 hours has been almost exclusively science and nearly 4.0. My overall GPA for my entire college career is now just barely under 3.0. I took an MCAT practice test under simulated conditions and got a 33. I believe that I could get a good score on the written portion as well. Any informed input on the matter?

Members don't see this ad.

If you get a high MCAT, do SMP. Its probably your only chance. Excellent job with the turnaround thats impressive, 3.0 is just too low. Average GPA for MD is 3.65 and DO is 3.45