low gpa?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docplease

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I only have a 2.9 GPA after my junior year of college. I haven't received my MCAT scores yet, so I don't know how I did. What are some realistic osteopathic schools I can apply to, if any? Please help! :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

docplease said:
I only have a 2.9 GPA after my junior year of college. I haven't received my MCAT scores yet, so I don't know how I did. What are some realistic osteopathic schools I can apply to, if any? Please help! :confused:

What is your science GPA? Also, it has been said time and time again DO schools tend to not focus as much on numbers. I do not think that there is a specific school that is known for accepting lower lower GPAs. That being said GPA is still important. You should choose the school because you like it not because you might get in! Do you have an estimate of what your MCAT would be based on practice tests??

my science gpa is around a 2.9 as well. on the practice tests, i've been getting around 23-25s.

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe New England, KCUMB, NYCOM, LECOM, and LECOM Bradenton. They generally have lower averages in statistics I've seen. I could be wrong because I am not the authority on this but it is what I have observed. Also Pikeville, if you are from the appalachian region(I'm not sure if that's required).

docplease said:

If you are serious about applying to Osteo Rock your senior year and then go back and make up for your past grades. They get replaced you know

Funkdoctor said:
If you are serious about applying to Osteo Rock your senior year and then go back and make up for your past grades. They get replaced you know

I agree with FunkDoctor you need to focus and do great your senior year! Then somewhere in your app explain how you became focused to increase your GPA because you really want to be a DO. Just work you a$$ off to get great grades senior year and the admission committees will see it! If this is what you want just keep trying and don’t give up…not that I’m qualified to be giving advice it is just my opinion! ;)

Funkdoctor said:

I agree with FunkDoctor you need to focus and do great your senior year! Then somewhere in your app explain how you became focused to increase your GPA because you really want to be a DO. Just work your a$$ off to get great grades senior year and the admission committees will see it! If this is what you want just keep trying and don’t give up…not that I’m qualified to be giving advice it is just my opinion! ;)

thanks so much for your advice guys...how are the schools going to see my senior year grades? i am a junior now, and i am applying this summer. should i write about doing better in my personal statement? how can i show them that i am good enough to be in med school?

Those 2.9s are going to hurt you this cycle, especially if you only get a 23-25 on the MCAT. I don't mean to discourage you, but these are low scores. You've GOT to do better on the MCAT or bring your grades up to have a decent shot at admittance, especially fresh out of college. However, you may have a shot this cycle if you APPLY EARLY to a lot of schools. Get great letters of rec and if you get interviews, know a lot about osteopathy. Good luck!

Not all hope is lost. If this is something you truly want, you'll get in eventually. ASA, rock your senior year, re-take the MCAT if you need to, bulk up your extracurriculars, find anything you can do to give a little extra help. You might want to think about not applying until next year, to give yourself a little better shot. Oh yeah, and make sure you want to be a DO and you're not just using it because you think you can't get into MD schools.

Wow, this advice is indeed helpful. I'm in a similar boat to docplease in that I've also completed my junior year with a 2.9 GPA. However, I haven't taken the MCAT yet and don't really plan to until April of next year (I'm going to be a senior for two years).

I'm gonna apply to all DO schools.

docplease said:
I don't feel that you have a realistic shot at osteopathic schools with a 2.9 overall, 2.9 science and 23-25 MCAT. I would advise waiting a year to apply until your all your (hopefully helpful) senior grades are in and you can take another shot at the MCAT. You ask
how can i show them that i am good enough to be in med school?
and you're exactly right, you need to show better work than this. Also, I don't recall you mentioning clinical experience, which will make a big difference in your application.

Like others have said, you can certainly go to medical school. But I think you need another year of demonstrated academic excellence to be successful in admissions. Best wishes.

docplease said:

What do your grades look like for individual classes? Any trends? Maybe if you really sucked it up in a couple of prereq classes you should retake those and kick ass.

well the thing is, i did really well my freshman year and then my sophomore year i slipped bc i was diagnosed with a medical condition that affected my daily life. Because of this, I had trouble concentrating in school..(this is unlikely me since I did so well in high school and my freshman year of college) Also, I have a lot of clinical experience...I have shadowed many doctors, both MD and DO, (which is how I knew I wanted to become a DO) and I am also an ER tech at a local hospital. I have done lots of volunteer work at hospitals in my area, and my extracurricular activities are certainly not lacking. It's basically just my gpa I'm worried about right now, and possibly the MCAT score because I haven't gotten it back yet. So, I reallllllly don't want to have to wait a year, but maybe that's what I have to do???

docplease said:
well the thing is, i did really well my freshman year and then my sophomore year i slipped bc i was diagnosed with a medical condition that affected my daily life. Because of this, I had trouble concentrating in school..(this is unlikely me since I did so well in high school and my freshman year of college) Also, I have a lot of clinical experience...I have shadowed many doctors, both MD and DO, (which is how I knew I wanted to become a DO) and I am also an ER tech at a local hospital. I have done lots of volunteer work at hospitals in my area, and my extracurricular activities are certainly not lacking. It's basically just my gpa I'm worried about right now, and possibly the MCAT score because I haven't gotten it back yet. So, I reallllllly don't want to have to wait a year, but maybe that's what I have to do???

I disagree with what everyone else is saying. Things can change a lot in a period of one year, you don't know what things might happen that could affect you (good and bad i guess). I say study your butt off this summer and retake the MCAT in august and get a 28-30, and I'll say you'll have an excellent shot at a D.O. school. One of my friends got into Ohio UCOM with a 2.85 science and a 28 on her MCAT. Keep your hopes alive, and don't get disheartened.

So Sorry by the way to hear about your illness in your sophomore year...btw, you can explain that in your application, and wit ha good mcat score, i'm sure that some committees would look past your sophomore year grades and recognize that you are in fact, a good student and can potentially become a good physician.