low gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunshineod

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a junior at OSU and have a LOW gpa...I haven't taken the OATs yet but plan on taking them sometime in May/June. I have a lot of shadowing experience and extracurriculars in my resume. What score do you think I should aim for to even be considered for Optometry School?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a junior at OSU and have a LOW gpa...I haven't taken the OATs yet but plan on taking them sometime in May/June. I have a lot of shadowing experience and extracurriculars in my resume. What score do you think I should aim for to even be considered for Optometry School?
depends on how low. some people who complain about "low" gpas have 3.5s, while others have considerably lower scores. either way shoot for the stars!

Members don't see this ad :)
Each year, it becomes more and more competitive. I would set your aim at a minimum of a 3.10 GPA. Of course you are already a junior, so you have a limited amount of time to bring it up as much as you can. Just put all your attention into your classes and getting A's. It'll help show the admissions committee at whatever school you apply to that 1) you have an upward trend in your grades, 2) you are very motivated to go into optometry and 3) You have what it takes to do well in a graduate program since youre getting A's in upper division courses.

I've gone through the same situation and thats the advice I received. I managed to bring up my grade as much as possible in undergrad, then finished a couple of Pre-reqs and retook some courses at a JC for a year in order to further bring up my GPA. It has given me something to talk about during my interviews and I think it's really shown them that I'm fully committed to going to a graduate program.

Good luck, and dont give up!

thanks for the advice. low gpa = around a 3.0 but still trying to raise it up. at my school, if you retake a class it doesnt replace/change your old grade which is a downfall. is there an OAT score I should aim for?

Always aim for as high as possible on the OAT. OSU avg has been 350 for years. And even better, talk to their admissions staff. They're very approachable.