Low Grade + High score on corresponding MCAT section= forgiveness?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
L

LoveBeingHuman:)

My physics II grade is, let's just say, gross. Long story short, will doing well on MCAT physical sciences make up for this?

Members don't see this ad.

My physics II grade is, let's just say, gross. Long story short, will doing well on MCAT physical sciences make up for this?
You need at least a C in all prereqs just to APPLY to med school. It also depends on the damage to your GPA. 1 bad grade isn't going to end you. But a high MCAT score won't compensate for a very low GPA. It might for a moderately low GPA in the 3.4-3.5 range, but don't count on this.

One bad grade won't kill you, especially if you have a competitive GPA overall. I honestly don't think schools will care enough that you got say a C in physics but got a 129 in the physical sciences section of the MCAT.

Try to get the highest balanced MCAT possible regardless of any other factors. Gunning to get a 132 on the Physical Sciences has little benefit except to give you a high MCAT in general. Also there's like literally 10-15 easy physics questions on the entire new MCAT out of 230 ish... so a high score says little about your physics ability.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Not a chance.

Why do you say that? And let me point at few things out:

-It was a C+
-It wasn't due to lack of studying, overconfidence, of lack of (for better word) intelligence
-If my MCAT shows that I know physics, what is the problem?

-It was a C+
-It wasn't due to lack of studying, overconfidence, of lack of (for better word) intelligence

1. This implies that the MCAT covers all of the material in physics 2. ( which it does not)
2. This implies that your behavior has changed. ( when in reality it has not and you simply did on the exam)
3. This implies that scoring well on 1 exam section proves you learned a semester's worth of material, which it does not. ( You can guess and do well)

Overall, GPA is important because it shows your work ethic and ability to adapt to varying conditions ( bad professors, tough classes, etc)

The MCAT is important because it shows you can do well on standardized tests and can function in high stakes environments.

Similar but not interchangeable.

Reactions: 1 users
If it wasn't this, why did you get a C+?

Calculator setting changed

Last edited:

I've met with literally all of the pre-med advisors. One of them used to be on a DO admission committee. He told me that a High MCAT subsection will triumph a low grade within the same subject. Take it for a grain of salt.

Calculator setting changed

So from all of your tests / exam /quizzes / homework..... your intelligence / common sense didn't tell you something wasn't right?

Why didn't you go to the professor and show that your calculator was in the wrong mode? Prove yourself. No way someone can mark you down for an honest mistake like that.

Uh. If someone came to me saying that the reason he/she received a C+ for the entire course was because their calculator was in the wrong setting I'd politely tell them to get lost.

Reactions: 7 users
Uh. If someone came to me saying that the reason he/she received a C+ for the entire course was because their calculator was in the wrong setting I'd politely tell them to get lost.

I'm assuming this was one test that probably changed the letter grade from a B or B+. I doubt OP was getting an A in this class.

If not the situation I described, then OP deserves a C+.

Reactions: 1 users
Getting a C in a pre-req isn't a death sentence, and showing you know the material on the MCAT will help. But won't be "forgiven".

Also for the love of god how did you let calculator settings wreck an entire class?

Also until you've taken the MCAT don't just assume you'll pop out a 14 on the PS (or whatever the kids are calling it these days) section and all will be forgotten. If it was that easy everyone would do it...

-It was a C+

The MCAT tests a very shallow but expansive pool of knowledge. The amount of raw physics on the MCAT is a joke, so it doesn't really test your depth of understanding of any topic -- similar to GRE math section topping out at algebra (or something similar). That said, in medical school we're going to be forced to learn both depth and breadth. Doing poorly in one class shouldn't stop your chance for admission, but carelessness is carelessness and you'll likely need to explain. And honestly, if you said 'I used the wrong units because my calculator was set wrong', I'd wonder how much you understood versus how many formulas you memorized. If you understand the concepts well, you can take a step back after most problems and say "Does this make sense?"

Mistakes happen. You'll learn and move on. This would be an unlikely reason for you to fail to get into a school -- there are a lot of other factors at play.

Reactions: 1 user
Worked for me. Got a C+ in biochem and a 131 on the biochem section of the MCAT. One of myy interviewers asked about the disparity and said clearly I know more than the class grade would indicate (since I took the MCAT and biochem in the same semester) and I had a chance to kind of explain what went on (prof diagnosed with cancer, crazy scheduling and curriculum changes). Obviously n=1 but I think it's possible that adcoms can cut you some slack if you're able to explain why there's such a difference. Accepted there in January.

On a serious note..... is it appropriate to talk about a low grade on a secondary app question considering that your experiences in the course you got the low grade in related to what the secondary question is asking and is the reason why you got a bad grade?