2023-2024 Low GPA High MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snr1115

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm hoping to apply for the 2025-2026 cycle and I was wondering if I could hear about some students' medical school application journeys with a low GPA and high MCAT. Not seeking false hope with this thread but rather just some inspiration and motivation to keep moving forward by hearing others' success stories.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Applied this past 2022-2023 cycle. I had previously applied in 2020-2021, got 1 MD II -> R. I did not do post-bacc or SMP. I just got more clinical experience as a CRC -> CNA -> Surg Tech.

This time around, my verified AMCAS cGPA was 3.48, sGPA 3.45. AACOMAS verified it slightly lower for some reason. Upward trends with final 60 credits or so being like 3.6-3.7. MCAT 514 (129/126/129/130). I honestly considered myself a low stat applicant but some would say my MCAT was solid enough. I graduated from a small but highly ranked liberal arts college in the midwest with BA in Psychology and minor in Neuroscience. Demographics wise, I am an ORM East Asian, US citizen/ formerly international student.

My IIs: VCU, Penn State, U of VT, Drexel, Brown, Touro CA DO, U of New England DO, Midwestern AZ DO, AT Still Kirksville DO.
Ended up getting into 2 MD and 3 DO programs (some of which were initially WLs). Waitlisted at all other programs and got no outright R post-II. Attending my top MD choice.

Hope my journey helps. Let me know if I can help in any way.

Reactions: 7 users
Applied this past 2022-2023 cycle. I had previously applied in 2020-2021, got 1 MD II -> R. I did not do post-bacc or SMP. I just got more clinical experience as a CRC -> CNA -> Surg Tech.

This time around, my verified AMCAS cGPA was 3.48, sGPA 3.45. AACOMAS verified it slightly lower for some reason. Upward trends with final 60 credits or so being like 3.6-3.7. MCAT 514 (129/126/129/130). I honestly considered myself a low stat applicant but some would say my MCAT was solid enough. I graduated from a small but highly ranked liberal arts college in the midwest with BA in Psychology and minor in Neuroscience. Demographics wise, I am an ORM East Asian, US citizen/ formerly international student.

My IIs: VCU, Penn State, U of VT, Drexel, Brown, Touro CA DO, U of New England DO, Midwestern AZ DO, AT Still Kirksville DO.
Ended up getting into 2 MD and 3 DO programs (some of which were initially WLs). Waitlisted at all other programs and got no outright R post-II. Attending my top MD choice.

Hope my journey helps. Let me know if I can help in any way.
Congratulations! That's awesome you got an interview at Brown. Did you have any connections to them? I've heard they really like people who did their undergrad there.

Members don't see this ad :)
My MCAT is not crazy high (515), but I have a 3.6 GPA so I'll be checking in at this thread as well. I also have an SMP (not sure if that really makes a difference) of 3.89 so we'll see. Best of luck to everyone applying.

Reactions: 1 users
Congratulations! That's awesome you got an interview at Brown. Did you have any connections to them? I've heard they really like people who did their undergrad there.
I had no connections. I mean I worked in Boston so kinda close but no other connections. FYI, I didn't get in there but it was nice to have been considered :)

Reactions: 1 user
My MCAT is not crazy high (515), but I have a 3.6 GPA so I'll be checking in at this thread as well. I also have an SMP (not sure if that really makes a difference) of 3.89 so we'll see. Best of luck to everyone applying.
You should have no worries with that GPA and SMP, in combination with a high MCAT like that. Don't draw attention to your grades and let other areas of your application shine because I honestly think that your stats speak for themselves.

• Love
You should have no worries with that GPA and SMP, in combination with a high MCAT like that. Don't draw attention to your grades and let other areas of your application shine because I honestly think that your stats speak for themselves.
You are so kind! Your comment made my day during this difficult time. Best of luck in medical school!

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone! I have a 3.5cGPA/3.27sGPA, 3.1 SMP GPA and a 524 MCAT. Strong extracurriculars, URM. I'll keep you updated if I get any interviews this cycle, applying to MD and DO!