low gre writing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

heba86

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear all

hello and happy new year

Iam a fulbright scholarship finalist for master of public health in usa

what do you think are my chances with these numbers?

TOEFL 620

GRE verbal 156
Quant. 155
writing 3.0 (i really deserved it as i went out of topic in both essays)

i dont know really how much this writing score will affect my application,yet i know it is really low

any similar experience?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't worry about your writing score too much, but it may depend upon which concentration you're applying for. I got something like a 4.0 on my writing section twice, but still got into all the schools I applied to. I think they're looking at the quant and verbal more. I got an almost-perfect score on the writing section of the SAT and worked as a writing tutor for years, so I didn't put much thought into my writing section of the GRE, but it didn't seem to matter. I think you'll be fine!

Hi RU2012 :hello:

Iam applying for epidemiology program, i dont know how important the writing section is for them
anyway, i think my personal statement is really good

besides the TOEFL
i hope that would compensate for the low writing score

thanks for the reply
and of course
happy new year for you and all your beloved ones
salam

Members don't see this ad :)
3 is average, but you need to compensate with a captivating personal statement!

Unless anything's changed since I took it, 3.0 is a bit concerning. I got a 4.0 and that was lower than the 50th percentile. But I wouldn't be worried if your personal statement is comprehensible and convincing. And as another poster mentioned, most schools look at the other sections.