low low gpa......

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HebrewLove

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have about50- 60 credits give or take with cgpa of 1.9 gpa/ sgpa 2.1 I am just wondering if I can ever recover? I have been out of school for almost four years and I will be 30 in a few weeks. What would be a good route...or do I need to let the desire to attend medical school go?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Enroll in a local CC or university and retake every F/D/C science coursework. You need to ace this to show Adcoms that you can handle medical school. if you do well, the fastest route will be via DO programs, thanks to AACOMAS' grade replacement.

I have about50- 60 credits give or take with cgpa of 1.9 gpa/ sgpa 2.1 I am just wondering if I can ever recover? I have been out of school for almost four years and I will be 30 in a few weeks. What would be a good route...or do I need to let the desire to attend medical school go?

Retake all of the classes that are C or lower. AACOMAS calculates your gpa with your most recent course grades and doesn't include the old grades for classes that have been retaken. You will also need to pursue a bachelor's degree prior to matriculating to med school. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
If you can find a 4 year university with an extension program, that would be better than a community college, since many schools see community college courses as less difficult.

If you can find a 4 year university with an extension program, that would be better than a community college, since many schools see community college courses as less difficult.
If that were true then why are (nearly all) DO schools fine with their applicants and matriculants taking their courses through community college?

If that were true then why are (nearly all) DO schools fine with their applicants and matriculants taking their courses through community college?

Even my state MD school says they are A-okay with community college classes.

OP, If a 4 year university is cost prohibitive, don't hesitate to go to a community college.

Reactions: 1 users
It would honestly be a huge waste of money to go back to a university instead of CC. Retake all grades below C for AACOMAS grade replacement. Good luck.

I was out of college for about 10 years before I started back. In the last 3 years, I've been able to take about 70 total hours. I probably had over 150 hours at around a 2.4 of which over 120 hours were right at a 2.3. The bulk of my Ds and Fs were in upper division math classes, which were not good options for retakes. Even with all of this, I retook a number of my pre-requisites, and completed the upper division portion of a biochem degree. By the time all was said and done, my AACOMAS calculated GPAs were cGPA: 3.14 sGPA: 3.39. These numbers are much more competitive than I ever could have dreamed given what I started with. And I couldn't even retake the worst of my grades. If you are able to retake all those courses (and 25 of my recent hours were at community college), then you should be able to make an enormous impact on your GPA.
I have no idea if i'll get into a US med school, but I at least have a chance. That's more than I could have ever hoped for when I was in a similar (maybe worse) position than you are. If you really want to go into medicine, devote everything to it. There isn't much room for error on your 2nd chances, as there likely won't be a 3rd chance.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks everyone! I appreciated the feedback and tough love lol (jk). I will be atteding school this fall and retaking my fail courses. I know this will be a long uphill battle but I know that I am capable of doing. I have been a medical assistant for the last 3 years and I know where I want to be.

Thanks everyone! I appreciated the feedback and tough love lol (jk). I will be atteding school this fall and retaking my fail courses. I know this will be a long uphill battle but I know that I am capable of doing. I have been a medical assistant for the last 3 years and I know where I want to be.
Good luck, work hard, and enjoy. before you know it, you'll be applying.