MD & DO Low MCAT, decent GPA + gap year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

katsmeow

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I guess you could say I'm in the middle of my first gap year. I'm planning on applying for Fall 2016, and wanted thoughts and tips on how to improve my file and any schools you'd recommend I look into (I've kinda new to this but I'm not picky, I know what my end goal is in this application process: becoming a doctor). I'm looking at DOs mostly since I find DO to be interesting and more suited for me. MD may be out of reach due to my stats, but I won't brush it off the table if I can improve. If I'm lucky and prepared enough, maybe I only have to do this once (famous last words, right?)

stats:
cGPA 3.7
sGPA 3.5
1st MCAT 2014 VR 7 / PS 6 / BS 10 = 23
2nd MCAT 2014: VR 8 / PS 9 / BS 8 = 25

My gpa had a good start until my 3rd year when it took a dip due to personal reasons, but I recovered in my 4th year of undergraduate. I can't say I test well as the results show, and I rather not take the MCAT again so soon.

I have all necessary prereq coursework and have good LoRs. My ECs that relate to medicine/science aren't too impressive: one semester interning at a hospital doing transports and observing procedures and surgeries in cardiology, a summer shadowing an MD, and did a semester of research with neurobiology professor. I held several other student leadership positions that took up my time: leading volunteer and cultural/social orgs, TA, and RA.

My current plans for the year is to do a year with City Year, work (in research hopefully), and shadow a DO. I've also been looking into biomedical forensic science MS programs since that has genuinely caught my attention (not necessarily for postbac, but maybe as a backup).

So, some of my concerns are
1. I'm worried waiting too long to apply will lower my chances, but I feel like I need more to buff up my app before I try because at the moment my app feels weak.
2. Should I not do the year with city year and apply to the forensics masters program and maybe save a year that could go towards med school? I feel an awful lot like I entered late into the game and am still falling behind but at the same time, I like doing volunteer work and trying out new things bc there's still a lot I feel like I need to experience.
3. What else could I do for my app to look better? (other than the obvious "retake the MCAT")

Thanks in advance for the feedback,
kats

PS: I guess I'm technically non-traditional right?

Members don't see this ad.

Your MCAT is low but satisfactory for newer DO schools, especially since the section scores are quite balanced. Also, you should expand your ECs with community service and clinical experience (hospital volunteering, etc.) I would suggest taking the gap year and follow through with your plan in working/City Year/shadowing/ECs and perhaps retake your MCAT (if you score 30+, your chances at MD school drastically improve). The MS in forensic science isn't a bad option. However, if your ultimate goal is medicine, I wouldn't spend the extra money or time in something that adds no significant benefit to your medical school applications or future practice as a physician.

EDIT: With your current GPA/MCAT and if you beef up your ECs with community service, clinical experience and DO shadowing, your chances of acceptance at a DO school are not bad, provided that you apply broadly and early. It's really up to you if you want to go for MD which would require an MCAT retake for best chances.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you very much for your advice and your thoughts. I had many thoughts running askew through my head and sometimes you just need another perspective, so I really do appreciate it. I'd obviously have to do some of my own research but which new DO schools automatically come to mind?

Yes, I plan to apply at the earliest and look into a variety of schools!