Low MCAT, Good GPA. What do you guys think?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AceUF78

Membaaa....
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took my MCAT in August for the first time and was kinda disapppointed. I made an error in transferring my answers from the question form onto the scantron (half way through one of my sections.) Needless to say, that screwed me up. I ended up receiving a 25Q on the MCAT (5V, 9B, 11P, Q) I, however, have a fairly competitive GPA 3.88 overall, and 3.8 Science GPA. I have filled out secondaries at 5 schools :
1. Univ of Wisconsin
2. New York Medical College
3. St. Louis Medical school
4. Tulane
5. Meharry

I was wondering what you guys think are my chances of getting in this year ? Am I gonna have to waste a year or do I have atleast a shot at being accepted this year.

I have decent extra-curricular activities, some volunteer work, lots of WORK experience, and some awards to my name..

Please let me know what you guys think, any advice would be appreciated...

-Ace

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think you'll be accepted with that MCAT score. It's already late in the game and that pretty much kills your chances. If I were you, I'd stay fresh with MCAT knowledge, take it in April and reapply. You obviously know what you're doing, just don't make anymore dumb mistakes ;-)

Good Luck!

Gadfrog,
i have a question. let's say ace apply in early JUNE with a 3.88 and 25 mcat score. will he have a shot at med school?

if ace does have a shot, do u think perhaps he/she doesn't have to re-take the april mcat again?

i appreciate for your advice/suggestion on behalf of Ace and me.
smile.gif

Members don't see this ad :)
MTY, that's a good question you've posted. I hope to see some replies.

You are already well under way in the application process. That is a stellar GPA and you did fairly well in the two science sections on the MCAT. The next step is to WOW them with your interviews. They may ask you to explain why your MCAT does not correspond to your GPA. Also I think that you may have a good shot with Meharry.

Good Luck!