Low MCAT, High GPA (505, 3.97 cGPA, 3.95 sGPA)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Med1519

Reaction score
Do I have any hope at MD with my below average stats

Background: 22 year old male, URM, Maryland Resident
Rural/Underserved: Yes
MCAT: 505 (127/125/126/127)
GPA:
  • cGPA: 3.97
  • sGPA: 3.95
Clinical experience:
  • Emergency department scribe (100 hours)
  • Patient advocate (Interacting directly with patient in a clinical setting) (300 hours)
Research experience:
  • 2 semesters of research, first author publication (decision pending)
    • Accepted for regional poster presentation which was canceled due to COVID 19
  • 1 semester of research, no publication
    • Accepted for regional poster presentation (presented)
Non-clinical volunteering:
  • Head start volunteer at elementary school (Gov funded education program for underserved disadvantage young children) (250 hours)
  • Volunteer for university STEM outreach program (30 hours)
Work Experience:
  • Worked as sales associate through my 4 years of undergrad (2500 hours)
Other experiences:
  • Member of schools pre health club as well as various honor societies.

I’m worried that I don’t even have much of a shot at MD due to my low MCAT score and less then stellar EC. Since my MCAT is so much lower than most school averages, I’m also having trouble building a school list. I would love any input and some schools I have a shot at. I'll go anywhere that will accept me.

Members don't see this ad.

You could receive interviews at MD schools. I suggest these schools:
Maryland
West Virginia
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Seton Hall
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Wake Forest
NOVA MD
TCU-UNT
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Also apply to DO schools and I suggest these:
PCOM
VCOM (all schools)
CUSOM
MU-COM
DMU-COM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
AZCOM

You should reach out to diversity/student services administrators at the schools high on your wish list. You should also set up a network of students through their involvement in AMSA and SNMA prior to applying. You need to see what type of support similar students have at the schools, especially with test prep and board prep. You need to figure out which schools will go to bat for you for your GPA.

Not WVU. They're way pickier than the MSAR says. I got into several MDs/DOs IS & OOS with a 499 MCAT & 3.7 GPA (& not much stellar extracurriculars). Apply broadly & be flexible - but you can definitely get in!