LOW MCAT LOW GPA CHANCES FOR DO SCHOOL

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hoggyhoggyhogwarts

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, hope everyone has been staying safe and well during this pandemic!

Just wanted to post and get advice regarding my (Asian female) chances for DO schools. I have a cumulative undergrad gpa from my state school of 3.33. I had to put myself through school, and had a lot of personal issues happening during the time, hence the low GPA. I got a D in introductory physics 1, got a C when I retook it, and managed to get an A in intro physics 2. I scribed in an emergency department for 2 years, and worked in a private practice for another year during undergrad.

I’m currently getting a masters in public health at a well-known university, and my current GPA is 3.7 (they use a different scale than what my undergrad used, A minuses are 3.7s, which is why my GPA isn’t a 4.0). My MCAT score is 502, and I’m planning on retaking in a couple weeks, but I’m pretty sure it won’t jump up significantly. I’ve been getting 505/506 on the practice exams, so I’m skeptical of any significant improvement.

Aside from this, I have research experience (no publication), have over 300 hours of volunteer service, and 300 hours of shadowing. I also recently got a job to be a case investigator for the department of health, so I’ll be working on data analysis/COVID tracking very soon.

What are my chances for DO schools with my current stats? Is it even feasible to get in? If so, where should I apply?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Where is your state of residence ? What is your sGPA ? You could receive interviews at some DO schools depending on state of residence and what your sGPA is .

Where is your state of residence ? What is your sGPA ? You could receive interviews at some DO schools depending on state of residence and what your sGPA is .

I’m currently in Virginia, but have the option to apply in-state in North Carolina, as well. Most likely going to pick Virginia. My sGPA is 3.17

You could receive interviews at these DO schools with your current stats:
ACOM
ARCOM
NYIT-AR
UIWSOM
WCU-COM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
PCOM Georgia and South Georgia
MU-COM
LECOM (all schools)
ATSU-SOMA
You could also try CUSOM and VCOM (all 4 schools) but you may be screened out with your sGPA of 3.17 .