Low MCAT Score and MCAT 2015 dilemma

Started by ldesczi
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ldesczi

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone, here's my difficult situation:

I have a 3.9 GPA and extremely solid ECs, LORs, etc. etc. Took my premed courses at least 3 years ago and without much prep absolutely bombed my first MCAT recently: 22 (8 PS, 6 V, 8 BS). I never got a V score that low in even any of my practice exams and same for PS and BS so I can't make a clue why that happened and after the PS section I just felt it wasn't going right and should've just voided but oh well hindsight 20/20.

I have been searching to get a Jan test date for so long and when I almost gave up, just a month ago got a seat for 1/23. I have been practicing for last 4 weeks and scoring in the range of 25-27 (based on 6 AAMC exams). I KNOW I can do much better than that if I put in the work so I'm wondering if I should take 1/23 expecting a score in that range (25-27) at most or simply take the new MCAT 2015 in May? I will have 4 solid months to study with no big commitment in life (I have a 20 hour part-time job but that's it). Should I risk getting a score in mid 20s for 1/23 and then work my butt off to get 30+ in May (whatever the 30+ equivalent may be) or should I ONLY focus for May 2015? I do not realistically expect to get a 30 in 1/23 test date.

Ps. I'll be fine going to DO schools but definitely don't want to close MD options for stupid lack of planning with MCAT.
 
You probably don't want to take the MCAT 3 times.

If you take the 1/23, you are highly likely to get a score in the mid-high 20s which is not ideal for MD. Contrary to what many people think, you should not expect a "miracle" score 3+ points above your practice test average on the real thing.

Since it is so late (too late for refund?), I'd maybe take the 1/23 test with the intention of voiding unless you feel spectacular coming out of it.

Then just take the new MCAT in May.
 
I would study more for that MCAT if it's all the same to you and you're not in a rush. You have a great GPA and good ECs, and you would be closing a lot of MD options if you scored in the mid 20's for your second retake, or putting a lot of pressure on that 3rd time.. You should take the MCAT when you're confident you're going to score well and if you're already expecting to not get a 30... 🙁 it's not a test you want to keep retaking.

I would still take it regardless (you paid for it), and do your best on it, but if there's any hesitation like how you felt you wanted to void the first one, I personally would void it. I think scoring in your range would be okay for DO schools with your GPA, but the fact that you said you don't want to close MD options and your ECs make me want to say to just kill it the next time you take it.
 
Great really appreciate both of your responses! I guess I'm worried med schools will give more emphasis on my first score as they're familiar and can easily interpret its disastrous nature, but I'm realizing it'll be easier to explain one horrible old mcat score with a solid mcat 2015 score (So NOT taking the 1/23) as opposed to a "justifying" the first horrible score by minor improvement in 1/23 exam. I'm taking AAMC 11 today and if I don't miraculously score 30+, I'll most likely go ahead, take the exam, and void it on 1/23.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I agree with the others posts here. If you have the time and "know" you're capable of getting a much better score (the difference between a 25-27 and 30+ is big) then take the new test. It will be more work, but you seem ready for it.

The test can be thought of as another language - you need to be on the same frequency as the AAMC in terms of how they ask their questions and how they may try to guide your thought pattern. You won't be able to achieve that in a week or two. Excelling at that part of the game comes greatly from practicing your application and critical thinking skills, and when I say practice, I mean loads of practice. Think about it - but at this point you could gain some valuable experience by taking the current test you're signed up for and voiding it, and it's not that you'll get back any of your money now if you remove yourself from the roster. Batter up!!
 
I agree with the others posts here. If you have the time and "know" you're capable of getting a much better score (the difference between a 25-27 and 30+ is big) then take the new test. It will be more work, but you seem ready for it.

The test can be thought of as another language - you need to be on the same frequency as the AAMC in terms of how they ask their questions and how they may try to guide your thought pattern. You won't be able to achieve that in a week or two. Excelling at that part of the game comes greatly from practicing your application and critical thinking skills, and when I say practice, I mean loads of practice. Think about it - but at this point you could gain some valuable experience by taking the current test you're signed up for and voiding it, and it's not that you'll get back any of your money now if you remove yourself from the roster. Batter up!!

Thanks TJ. Yes, I'm SO frustrated with the whole stupid/vicious cycle full of anxiety that I have created myself and no one is to blame for it but me. After a fairly successful and "stress-free" undergrad years achieving pretty much everything I wanted, this lack of structure, useless worrying and extremely poor planning got the best of me but I'll regroup myself, take the test this Friday AM if nothing else to at least beat my nerves and starting next week actually put in the work needed to beat the MCAT for real this time. It's only another exam and I am going to defeat it.

I have a quick question: I saw very high reviews for NS CARS on amazon...is there an e-book version that I could buy?
 
Great really appreciate both of your responses! I guess I'm worried med schools will give more emphasis on my first score as they're familiar and can easily interpret its disastrous nature, but I'm realizing it'll be easier to explain one horrible old mcat score with a solid mcat 2015 score (So NOT taking the 1/23) as opposed to a "justifying" the first horrible score by minor improvement in 1/23 exam. I'm taking AAMC 11 today and if I don't miraculously score 30+, I'll most likely go ahead, take the exam, and void it on 1/23.
your post is exactly why I am going to voiding. I honestly think that the lack of solid data on the new mcat will provide a little more room for subjectivity on the adcom end due to not being as confident in what the score actually means this early on with the new mcat...whereas the old mcat has 20+ yrs of data so they are confident in what a low score means.
 
I have a quick question: I saw very high reviews for NS CARS on amazon...is there an e-book version that I could buy?

Unfortunately at this time there isn't an e-book available for the CARS book, or any NextStep book. And off the top of my head, I would tell you that there probably won't be one in the near future (there isn't one cooking right now). However, I'll voice the idea to the back office!
 
your post is exactly why I am going to voiding. I honestly think that the lack of solid data on the new mcat will provide a little more room for subjectivity on the adcom end due to not being as confident in what the score actually means this early on with the new mcat...whereas the old mcat has 20+ yrs of data so they are confident in what a low score means.

I hear you but it's a double edge sword though right? As i keep thinking that no one really knows what the equivalent of "30" is..a 27 is a 27 or a 29 is a 29 much lower than a 33...with the new scale who knows how those will be interpreted..but I keep thinking as long as percentiles are being used and may be 75%+ will be a very solid MCAT score?

Actually I just looked it up and check out this link:
https://www.aamc.org/students/download/361080/data/combined13.pdf.pdf

30+ translates to 78.1% So may be targeting at least a 80% overall percentile score is the internal goal that I'll probably have for myself..
 
Hi everyone, here's my difficult situation:

I have a 3.9 GPA and extremely solid ECs, LORs, etc. etc. Took my premed courses at least 3 years ago and without much prep absolutely bombed my first MCAT recently: 22 (8 PS, 6 V, 8 BS). I never got a V score that low in even any of my practice exams and same for PS and BS so I can't make a clue why that happened and after the PS section I just felt it wasn't going right and should've just voided but oh well hindsight 20/20.

I have been searching to get a Jan test date for so long and when I almost gave up, just a month ago got a seat for 1/23. I have been practicing for last 4 weeks and scoring in the range of 25-27 (based on 6 AAMC exams). I KNOW I can do much better than that if I put in the work so I'm wondering if I should take 1/23 expecting a score in that range (25-27) at most or simply take the new MCAT 2015 in May? I will have 4 solid months to study with no big commitment in life (I have a 20 hour part-time job but that's it). Should I risk getting a score in mid 20s for 1/23 and then work my butt off to get 30+ in May (whatever the 30+ equivalent may be) or should I ONLY focus for May 2015? I do not realistically expect to get a 30 in 1/23 test date.

Ps. I'll be fine going to DO schools but definitely don't want to close MD options for stupid lack of planning with MCAT.


what did you end up doing?