low MCAT & undergrad GPA but high SMP GPA - do I still apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuremdddd

Reaction score
Hi everyone! So I just got my MCAT score back today and am not sure what to do. My undergrad stats are low - according to AACOMAS, my undergrad cGPA is 3.08 and sGPA is 2.82. I finished an SMP at my local state school and graduated with a 3.8 GPA. Combined, it brings my overall cGPA to 3.20 and overall sGPA to 3.02. I took my MCAT and scored a 500 (this is 11 points lower than my averages on AAMC practice exams, I think the drop was due to test-taking anxiety). I already submitted my primary applications for AMCAS & AACOMAS. I have received strong LORs and a commitee letter from my SMP. I have about 2000 hours of clinical working experience, 50 hours shadowing, and about 200 hours non-clinical volunteering. Should I still go ahead and apply to DO schools? Should I even consider MD schools? Or should I wait another year to apply? I would really like to apply this year but I'm not too sure what to do. If I do apply, are there any target schools I should apply to?

@Goro

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone! So I just got my MCAT score back today and am not sure what to do. My undergrad stats are low - according to AACOMAS, my undergrad cGPA is 3.08 and sGPA is 2.82. I finished an SMP at my local state school and graduated with a 3.8 GPA. Combined, it brings my overall cGPA to 3.20 and overall sGPA to 3.02. I took my MCAT and scored a 500 (this is 11 points lower than my averages on AAMC practice exams, I think the drop was due to test-taking anxiety). I already submitted my primary applications for AMCAS & AACOMAS. I have received strong LORs and a commitee letter from my SMP. I have about 2000 hours of clinical working experience, 50 hours shadowing, and about 200 hours non-clinical volunteering. Should I still go ahead and apply to DO schools? Should I even consider MD schools? Or should I wait another year to apply? I would really like to apply this year but I'm not too sure what to do. If I do apply, are there any target schools I should apply to?

@Goro
As a reinventor, the SMP GPA is what counts, showing the you of now is not the you of then.

Sadly, your MCAT score kills off any MD chances. IF you indeed have test taking anxiety issues, those need to be fixed in order to be a successful medical student.

I recommend these:
Your SMP school, if hosted at a medical school. They know you.
Any DO school except the NY and CA Touros, CCOM, and AZCOM. I can't recommend LUCOM, Wm Carey, nor Nova for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. CalHS is too new and appears to be too limited in rotations sites.