Low MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Itisnottoolate

M2
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I recently received my mcat score and let’s just say it is quite disheartening. I scored lower than any of my full lengths. I think I just had an off day. I plan to retake in January or March before applying next cycle.
I need advice on how I should proceed with studying. What is the best resource for each section?
I think my content is fair but certainly can improve. I really focused on biochemistry for this exam and I hardly had any. I had so many low yield bio 101 stuff and I hadn’t focused on this as much and it was detrimental to my score.
Thanks for the advice.

Members don't see this ad.

What resources did you use this first time around?
I mostly used Kaplan books and watch KA videos. I did not consistently study and that was a huge problem too because of a busy life. I guess I am making excuses. I honestly felt I was going to do better. I have never been so disappointed in myself. I was thinking about doing a self paced or online course.

Members don't see this ad :)
I mostly used Kaplan books and watch KA videos. I did not consistently study and that was a huge problem too because of a busy life. I guess I am making excuses. I honestly felt I was going to do better. I have never been so disappointed in myself. I was thinking about doing a self paced or online course.

Well the resources you have aren't bad, and obviously you could always check out TPR or EK. However, at the end of the day it is just having a tight schedule and doing enough practice exams too. You'll bounce back from it even though it must not feel good right now. I would just look at what effort you put in and where you can improve moving forward.

Reactions: 1 user
Well the resources you have aren't bad, and obviously you could always check out TPR or EK. However, at the end of the day it is just having a tight schedule and doing enough practice exams too. You'll bounce back from it even though it must not feel good right now. I would just look at what effort you put in and where you can improve moving forward.
Thank you so much. I needed the encouragement. I will look into those resources.

Kaplan, KA videos are great. AAMC material for practice. It most closely resembles the actual exam.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

I'd look at advice from people here on study methods but if you need consistency (and a second MCAT is really your last chance to get the right score) maybe an in-person class or an self-paced Kaplan online class would be a good investment.

Reactions: 1 user