Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

low morale

Discussion in 'Pre-Veterinary' started by littlehooves, Jun 1, 2008.

  1. littlehooves

    2+ Year Member

    Joined:
    May 24, 2008
    Messages:
    114
    Likes Received:
    0
    Status:
    Pre-Veterinary
    I calculated my marks last night- and I'm sure I won't get into my local veterinary college.

    The thing is, this year I started researching international schools- and I'd honestly rather go international then to my local one. I like the curriculums, the experience, and the overseas opportunities for extramural studies, etc.

    I'm in the middle of a prep course to write the MCAT (which is required for my local vet school, but *not* for any of the international schools I'm looking at), and scheduled to write the test August 9th. After this year is finished, my marks will be in the range for consideration into the intl' schools I'm looking at.

    What do I do? I can either stick with it, write the MCAT and keep working at my part time job that hasn't started yet, OR I can drop the MCAT, lose $1500, find a full time job and work my booty off to make as much money as I can this summer to start funding my int'l dreams (which by the way the fees are sky high).....

    opinions? :(
     
  2. mdnghtdnc

    2+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2008
    Messages:
    151
    Likes Received:
    0
    Status:
    Veterinary Student
    Personally I would continue the MCAT just so I didn't loose that much money. I work very hard for money and would see that as a little wasteful.... but that is just my opinion, and I am not saying you didn't work hard for the money that you used. This is just what I would do if I was in this situation. Have you looked at any out of state schools, some of which may have a cheaper cost. The second reason I would continue the MCAT would be on the off chance I would change my mind again.... I tend to do that sometimes especially with big decisions.... good luck on your decision.
     
  3. laurafinn

    10+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2004
    Messages:
    406
    Likes Received:
    4
    Status:
    Veterinarian
    Stay with the MCAT course. Canadian tuition is so much cheaper than that of international schools, it's worth a try, even if you feel like your chances aren't great.
     
  4. Nexx

    Nexx 2 weeks and counting
    5+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Oct 10, 2006
    Messages:
    449
    Likes Received:
    1
    Status:
    Veterinary Student
    Stick with the course. I think most (at least the Australia/NZ) courses start in Courses in February so you wouldn't be able to make that -much- money if you wanted to start as early as Feb 2009.

    This way you aren't wasting money, could still take the test and still toss in applications to Canadian school(s) if you wanted. I don't know where you are at over there but you -could- also look at the new school that they opened/are opening in Calgary (I think). I know it isn't accredited yet but it's always an option if $$ is on the line.

    Gah... I should be studying for my Anatomy final :/
     
  5. littlehooves

    2+ Year Member

    Joined:
    May 24, 2008
    Messages:
    114
    Likes Received:
    0
    Status:
    Pre-Veterinary
    Thanks guys :D yeah I've decided to stick with the MCAT...as another poster mentioned- I tend to change my mind too all the time, so its better that I have it done ;) The sucky thing about Canadian vet schools is that you can't apply/get accepted into any out of province schools if you aren't a citizen of the province/area. So that narrows my choices down to 1. :p Anyhoo I was super stressing out over MCAT studying, and turning into a bit of a crazy person (chemisty for 4 days straight is not a good thing). Thanks alot for your input guys :D
     

Share This Page