Low OAT scores today.

Glaucisxtra

Reaction score
Hello,
I took my OAT today and I got really low scores. I studied for 2 solid months literally every day for about 7 hours a day.
I used the Big Kaplan book, Kaplan lesson book, Kaplan practice questions book, and Princeton review cracking the oat for physics. The Princeton review came with “drills” online for all the other subjects and 2 full length practice exams and so did Kaplan.
I am graduating this coming fall with my bachelors degree. I have a 3.0 gpa.
I have an ophthalmic technician degree and worked in opthalmogy for 3 years. I have Optometry shadowing hours and surgery shadowing hours.

I scored:
QR 260
RC 260
Bio 260
Gen chem 280
Orgo 290
Physics 300
TS 280, AA 280

This was not an easy test and It was my first time taking it. I was surprised at my Orgo score since I got a B in Orgo 1 and an A in Orgo 2.

Anyways has anyone gotten these low scores before and applied? I was hoping to apply for fall 2019. Do you guys think it’s impossible for me to get accepted somewhere?

I love this field and I really want to carry and optometry degree.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I don’t think it’s impossible. You most likely will have to retake the OAT. You can apply when the cycle starts through because the earlier the better and put on your application you plan to retake the OAT. Some schools will like you extracurriculars and gpa and give you an interview, then they may wait for your retake OAT scores to make a decision. Some schools like PCO will take the best scores from both times you took the OAT to make a decision. I would say if you believe you can score better go ahead and apply when the cycle opens. If not wait to see your new scores and decide then. Also, Nova has a program called Pops that will take candidates that may not have the strongest stats and give them a chance to prove themselves. It’s one year and if you meet the requirements you are guaranteed a spot in next years class. Hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 user
I don’t think it’s impossible. You most likely will have to retake the OAT. You can apply when the cycle starts through because the earlier the better and put on your application you plan to retake the OAT. Some schools will like you extracurriculars and gpa and give you an interview, then they may wait for your retake OAT scores to make a decision. Some schools like PCO will take the best scores from both times you took the OAT to make a decision. I would say if you believe you can score better go ahead and apply when the cycle opens. If not wait to see your new scores and decide then. Also, Nova has a program called Pops that will take candidates that may not have the strongest stats and give them a chance to prove themselves. It’s one year and if you meet the requirements you are guaranteed a spot in next years class. Hope this helps!
Thanks a bunch!

If you do plan on retaking it I suggest trying Chad Videos and OAT Destroyer for your study material.You did really well in physics btw. I know a lot of schools require a 300TS and 300AA for interviews so you're really close.

Also studying 7 hours everyday for 2 months isn't the best way to study. You need to take breaks and relax while studying. I studied 4-5 days out of the week for about 4-5 hours each day and that helped me. I studied for about 2 months too.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you do plan on retaking it I suggest trying Chad Videos and OAT Destroyer for your study material.You did really well in physics btw. I know a lot of schools require a 300TS and 300AA for interviews so you're really close.

Also studying 7 hours everyday for 2 months isn't the best way to study. You need to take breaks and relax while studying. I studied 4-5 days out of the week for about 4-5 hours each day and that helped me. I studied for about 2 months too.
I agree about taking breaks and relaxing, which I haven’t done at all and it actually did reflect on my scores.
Thank you!

Hello,
I took my OAT today and I got really low scores. I studied for 2 solid months literally every day for about 7 hours a day.
I used the Big Kaplan book, Kaplan lesson book, Kaplan practice questions book, and Princeton review cracking the oat for physics. The Princeton review came with “drills” online for all the other subjects and 2 full length practice exams and so did Kaplan.
I have an ophthalmic technician degree and worked in opthalmogy for 3 years. I have Optometry shadowing hours and surgery shadowing hours.

I scored:
QR 260
RC 260
Bio 260
Gen chem 280
Orgo 290
Physics 300
TS 280, AA 280

This was not an easy test and It was my first time taking it. I was surprised at my Orgo score since I got a B in Orgo 1 and an A in Orgo 2.

Anyways has anyone gotten these low scores before and applied? I was hoping to apply for fall 2019. Do you guys think it’s impossible for me to get accepted somewhere?

Thanks.

I just bought the Princeton Review cracking Oat for physics, was wondering if you found it helpful? I heard it was very physics based.

Also, good luck with everything !! Also applying for Fall 19 with the same Gpa haha

I just bought the Princeton Review cracking Oat for physics, was wondering if you found it helpful? I heard it was very physics based.

Also, good luck with everything !! Also applying for Fall 19 with the same Gpa haha
It was very helpful!!! Best thing thing I bought to study. I always struggled with physics and this book was soo easy to follow and understand.
The physics on the oat were very conceptual. Don’t focus too much on knowing all the formulas and how to solve. You really just need to understand the topic. Know vectors!!! Static equilibrium (how far a person should sit on a bar to balance ....etc). Also know what would happen if you change change a variable in an equation.(like keeping everything constant, what would happen if you double the velocity, for example).

Reactions: 2 users
It was very helpful!!! Best thing thing I bought to study. I always struggled with physics and this book was soo easy to follow and understand.
The physics on the oat were very conceptual. Don’t focus too much on knowing all the formulas and how to solve. You really just need to understand the topic. Know vectors!!! Static equilibrium (how far a person should sit on a bar to balance ....etc). Also know what would happen if you change change a variable in an equation.(like keeping everything constant, what would happen if you double the velocity, for example).

Thank you thats super helpful!!
I noticed that the ADA scope of test for the physics section doesn't include subjects like Magnetism or quantum physics. Did you see any of those questions?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-06-05 at 9.42.26 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-06-05 at 9.42.26 PM.png
    33.1 KB · Views: 200
First of all, don’t be discouraged by your scores. It is indeed a hard test.

If you apply with those scores, there is a high chance you won’t get any invitations or the school will ask you to retake the test anyways.

I think the biggest obstacle with the test is the duration. Just build your endurance up with lots of practice tests. You’re almost there, you just need to work a bit more and you’ll get there!

First of all, don’t be discouraged by your scores. It is indeed a hard test.

If you apply with those scores, there is a high chance you won’t get any invitations or the school will ask you to retake the test anyways.

I think the biggest obstacle with the test is the duration. Just build your endurance up with lots of practice tests. You’re almost there, you just need to work a bit more and you’ll get there!
Thank you so much for your encouragement! Much appreciated.

Hello,

I scored:
QR 260
RC 260
Bio 260
Gen chem 280
Orgo 290
Physics 300
TS 280, AA 280

Thanks.
I would totally apply and see what happens! I know a girl who got the same score as you and applied early, in August, and got into Salus and ICO. Salus told her to retake it and she got the same score, ICO told her that even if she applied once with that score she would have been accepted! It’s worth a shot! Btw she had the same background as you but a 3.3 gpa! Another girl i know got into Indiana with that score as well! Doesn’t hurt to try! :)

Reactions: 3 users
I would totally apply and see what happens! I know a girl who got the same score as you and applied early, in August, and got into Salus and ICO. Salus told her to retake it and she got the same score, ICO told her that even if she applied once with that score she would have been accepted! It’s worth a shot! Btw she had the same background as you but a 3.3 gpa! Another girl i know got into Indiana with that score as well! Doesn’t hurt to try! :)
Wow I’m so happy you commented. You made me feel so much better and I’m going to go ahead and apply and see what happens. Thank you!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow I’m so happy you commented. You made me feel so much better and I’m going to go ahead and apply and see what happens. Thank you!!!!!!!
Np!! I take my test on July 16th so whatever i get I’m applying! It really doesn’t hurt to try! Btw keep me updated!!

This forum is very helpful. I’ve been out of school for 4 years and I’ve been studying 4 months for the OAT using Princeton Cracking the OAT and DAT. I have 10 years of optical experiences and 1 years as a vision center manager. My GPA is 3.2. I’m so nervous about taking the OAT... I honestly feel I’ve been studying for too long and forgetting the material. I’ll be testing the end of July and applying July 1 to SCO and UAB

This forum is very helpful. I’ve been out of school for 4 years and I’ve been studying 4 months for the OAT using Princeton Cracking the OAT and DAT. I have 10 years of optical experiences and 1 years as a vision center manager. My GPA is 3.2. I’m so nervous about taking the OAT... I honestly feel I’ve been studying for too long and forgetting the material. I’ll be testing the end of July and applying July 1 to SCO and UAB
Try to use active learning as much as you can so you won't forget the material you've spent so long studying! I used a lot of quizlets and practice questions from the Kaplan QBank to help, and did pretty well on the OAT. You have great experience so I think you would be a strong applicant with ~340 AA or higher.

You're welcome to apply, but with those scores and below average GPA (average entering GPA is about a 3.5) you really won't have a choice in the school you want to go to. A lot of applicants with poor stats will be wait listed or will be given a later interview date so you run the chance of spending a bunch of money on applications and not getting in (this happened to my roommate).

As per how much you studied, yes you may have put a lot of time in but if that wasn't efficient studying time then it's as if you had studied nothing. Figuring out what methods are most effective for you will not only help with the OAT but also being successful once you start optometry school.

Last edited:
Also make note that all optometry schools are NOT the same. I only realized this once starting school, but not all schools require you to pass your boards to graduate. I briefly worked with a girl that graduated school but has not been able to pass her boards, so she's effectively just been working as a super tech with a tech's salary unable to pay off her loans.

This post may not be as encouraging as others but I really do believe it's best to be over informed than under. It's almost best for you to take some time off and study than just apply and go to a school that may not be best suited for you.

Last edited:
Hello,

I scored:
QR 260
RC 260
Bio 260
Gen chem 280
Orgo 290
Physics 300
TS 280, AA 280

Thanks.
Did you decide to apply?

Did you decide to apply?
Hey sorry for the delayed response. I have been working on my application through OptomCAS and writting the personal statement and getting evaluation requests out. I hope to apply by this Friday. I’m waiting for a couple friends to read my essay over and give me feedback. Wish me luck!!
I’m applying to 8 schools btw.
ICO(top choice), NOVA, SUNY(I have no chance but I’m applying anyways and taking feedback from them if any), Salus, Kentucky, SCO, SCCO.

I’ll make a forum on what happens next. (When I get rejection letter after rejection letter :p) jk gotta laugh through the pain.

Hey sorry for the delayed response. I have been working on my application through OptomCAS and writting the personal statement and getting evaluation requests out. I hope to apply by this Friday. I’m waiting for a couple friends to read my essay over and give me feedback. Wish me luck!!
ICO(top choice), NOVA, SUNY(I have no chance but I’m applying anyways and taking feedback from them if any), Salus, Kentucky, SCO, SCCO.

I’ll make a forum on what happens next. (When I get rejection letter after rejection letter :p) jk gotta laugh through the pain.
I submitted my application to optomcas Monday! I’ve applied to SCO and UAB... not really wanting to move far. Using this time now to focus on the OAT. GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALSO

I would also consider looking at UAB. They accept lower OAT scores than other schools.

I submitted my application to optomcas Monday! I’ve applied to SCO and UAB... not really wanting to move far. Using this time now to focus on the OAT. GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALSO

I'm a current second year at SCO and got into UAB after being out of school for almost 2 years, so if you need any help just holla at ya girlll. :)

I feel you... I am in the same boat. Don't feel discouraged. I took the OAT 2 times already and got 270 each time so I know I am not at the level of understanding that I need to be.

I am going to get a tutor for chem and ochem and physics to work on my weak areas. The other areas I think are mostly practice and to find patterns.

But Whatever happens, one obstacle will not stop you from your goal! Eye on the prize. And stay Positive :)

I feel you... I am in the same boat. Don't feel discouraged. I took the OAT 2 times already and got 270 each time so I know I am not at the level of understanding that I need to be.

I am going to get a tutor for chem and ochem and physics to work on my weak areas. The other areas I think are mostly practice and to find patterns.

But Whatever happens, one obstacle will not stop you from your goal! Eye on the prize. And stay Positive :)
I got the same score, 270 AA and TS, after taking it two times!! Keep me updated if you get interviews anywhere. The OAT is really the only thing holding me back right now.

Where do you feel like you went wrong both times?
Well I thought if I would be able to keep the same scores from the previous sections and raise 2 of those sections significantly then I would be able to raise my AA. I raised my scores in two sections significantly; however, the scores in my other sections dropped by 10 so it still evened out to be the same score. I'm going to take it again only after I can get a good score on the practice tests.

I got the same score, 270 AA and TS, after taking it two times!! Keep me updated if you get interviews anywhere. The OAT is really the only thing holding me back right now.

I feel you on ANOTHER LEVEL. It is so frustrating. I also took the OAT 2x and got 270 both times. I know we are capable, but we are missing some major key components in understanding is my thought? What are you doing to prepare? Maybe we can support, inspire, kick each other in the butt to get over this hump. My email is- [email protected] if you want to discuss more

What’s your update? Any letters

I would also consider looking at UAB. They accept lower OAT scores than other schools.
Do you know what’s the lowest score they’ve accepted? I have an interview with them but I’m scared this doesn’t mean anything

hey sorry guys but heres an update:
I got an interview offer at Salus :)
thats really it so far. fingers crossed it goes well.

Reactions: 3 users

hi Glaucisxtra, congradulation you got interview offer.
this is for the year of 2018 admission or for the year of 2019?
please advise

thanks

This is for 2019 admission.

wow, you already got admission for 2019 now, that's early?
I didn't apply yet. my plan is after exam next week (Aug 22) then apply. do you think it's too late?
(I though the deadline for 2019 is next March. so I didn't apply yet)

wow, you already got admission for 2019 now, that's early?
I didn't apply yet. my plan is after exam next week (Aug 22) then apply. do you think it's too late?
(I though the deadline for 2019 is next March. so I didn't apply yet)
You have to apply early. The earlier the better. It’s not too late to apply in August. It’s only too late when you reach the deadline. But it’s not advised you wait at all. Apply early! All schools stress that.

Looking for input! Do you think I have the chance to get in this round? Still applying... Can't take my OAT again because I am returning to full time for the fall and spring semester! Thanks guys!
Date OptomCAS submitted: 07/01/18
Date verified: 08/08/18
OAT Scores: 290 AA 290 TS (BIO: 310 GC: 320 OC: 300 RC:300 PHYS: 260 QR:270)
Major: Neuroscience
GPA: 3.21 Cumulative 2.96 Science
Extracurricular Activities: 7 years opto tech (30-40 patients a day), Uppercouncil/2 years opto club, shadowed 5 OD's, Opto-Camp at Berkeley, Volunteer experience
Looks like you have good stats. But I’m pretty sure the 2018 admission cycle has been closed. I could be wrong but I don’t think I am. I think it’s too late to apply for fall 2018. Fall 2019 opened at the end of June.

You have to apply early. The earlier the better. It’s not too late to apply in August. It’s only too late when you reach the deadline. But it’s not advised you wait at all. Apply early! All schools stress that.
Yes, the application opened on July 1st for Fall 2019.

Hey! Can you pm me, I'm writing my test in 2 days and I would love to ask you a few questions.

Hey y'all so i just took the free oat test that that ADA provides. is that a good level of representation of the real oat as far as the level of difficulty?

Hey y'all so i just took the free oat test that that ADA provides. is that a good level of representation of the real oat as far as the level of difficulty?

My first instinct is to say no, the actual OAT was harder. But the ideas of the questions are similar. But the actual OAT was more difficult in my opinion. Prior to taking the OAT, I thought the practice ada test was easy.