Low OAT scores today.

Discussion in 'OAT Discussions' started by Glaucisxtra, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Glaucisxtra

Hello,
    I took my OAT today and I got really low scores. I studied for 2 solid months literally every day for about 7 hours a day.
    I used the Big Kaplan book, Kaplan lesson book, Kaplan practice questions book, and Princeton review cracking the oat for physics. The Princeton review came with “drills” online for all the other subjects and 2 full length practice exams and so did Kaplan.
    I am graduating this coming fall with my bachelors degree. I have a 3.0 gpa.
    I have an ophthalmic technician degree and worked in opthalmogy for 3 years. I have Optometry shadowing hours and surgery shadowing hours.

I scored:
    QR 260
    RC 260
    Bio 260
    Gen chem 280
    Orgo 290
    Physics 300
    TS 280, AA 280

This was not an easy test and It was my first time taking it. I was surprised at my Orgo score since I got a B in Orgo 1 and an A in Orgo 2.

Anyways has anyone gotten these low scores before and applied? I was hoping to apply for fall 2019. Do you guys think it’s impossible for me to get accepted somewhere?

I love this field and I really want to carry and optometry degree.

Thanks.

helpmeout382100 likes this.
  2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Carol0404

Pre-Optometry
    I don’t think it’s impossible. You most likely will have to retake the OAT. You can apply when the cycle starts through because the earlier the better and put on your application you plan to retake the OAT. Some schools will like you extracurriculars and gpa and give you an interview, then they may wait for your retake OAT scores to make a decision. Some schools like PCO will take the best scores from both times you took the OAT to make a decision. I would say if you believe you can score better go ahead and apply when the cycle opens. If not wait to see your new scores and decide then. Also, Nova has a program called Pops that will take candidates that may not have the strongest stats and give them a chance to prove themselves. It’s one year and if you meet the requirements you are guaranteed a spot in next years class. Hope this helps!

4. Glaucisxtra

Thanks a bunch!

Carol0404 likes this.
  5. JBL0008

If you do plan on retaking it I suggest trying Chad Videos and OAT Destroyer for your study material.You did really well in physics btw. I know a lot of schools require a 300TS and 300AA for interviews so you're really close.

Also studying 7 hours everyday for 2 months isn't the best way to study. You need to take breaks and relax while studying. I studied 4-5 days out of the week for about 4-5 hours each day and that helped me. I studied for about 2 months too.

GUCC06 likes this.
  6. Glaucisxtra

I agree about taking breaks and relaxing, which I haven’t done at all and it actually did reflect on my scores.
    Thank you!

JBL0008 likes this.
  7. helpmeout382100

Pre-Optometry

I just bought the Princeton Review cracking Oat for physics, was wondering if you found it helpful? I heard it was very physics based.

Also, good luck with everything !! Also applying for Fall 19 with the same Gpa haha

8. Glaucisxtra

It was very helpful!!! Best thing thing I bought to study. I always struggled with physics and this book was soo easy to follow and understand.
    The physics on the oat were very conceptual. Don’t focus too much on knowing all the formulas and how to solve. You really just need to understand the topic. Know vectors!!! Static equilibrium (how far a person should sit on a bar to balance ....etc). Also know what would happen if you change change a variable in an equation.(like keeping everything constant, what would happen if you double the velocity, for example).

GUCC06 and helpmeout382100 like this.
  9. helpmeout382100

Pre-Optometry

Thank you thats super helpful!!
    I noticed that the ADA scope of test for the physics section doesn't include subjects like Magnetism or quantum physics. Did you see any of those questions?

Attached Files:

10. Glaucisxtra

I’ll pm you

11. optomize

Pre-Optometry
    hi there! I'd like to know too if you saw any magnetism or quantum physics on the OAT! Thank you!

Glaucisxtra likes this.
  12. Grummy142

First of all, don’t be discouraged by your scores. It is indeed a hard test.

If you apply with those scores, there is a high chance you won’t get any invitations or the school will ask you to retake the test anyways.

I think the biggest obstacle with the test is the duration. Just build your endurance up with lots of practice tests. You’re almost there, you just need to work a bit more and you’ll get there!

GUCC06 and Glaucisxtra like this.
  13. Glaucisxtra

Thank you so much for your encouragement! Much appreciated.

14. remy1216

Pre-Optometry
    I would totally apply and see what happens! I know a girl who got the same score as you and applied early, in August, and got into Salus and ICO. Salus told her to retake it and she got the same score, ICO told her that even if she applied once with that score she would have been accepted! It’s worth a shot! Btw she had the same background as you but a 3.3 gpa! Another girl i know got into Indiana with that score as well! Doesn’t hurt to try! :)

Optician2OD and Glaucisxtra like this.
  15. Glaucisxtra

Wow I’m so happy you commented. You made me feel so much better and I’m going to go ahead and apply and see what happens. Thank you!!!!!!!

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. remy1216

Pre-Optometry
    Np!! I take my test on July 16th so whatever i get I’m applying! It really doesn’t hurt to try! Btw keep me updated!!

Optician2OD likes this.
  18. Optician2OD

This forum is very helpful. I’ve been out of school for 4 years and I’ve been studying 4 months for the OAT using Princeton Cracking the OAT and DAT. I have 10 years of optical experiences and 1 years as a vision center manager. My GPA is 3.2. I’m so nervous about taking the OAT... I honestly feel I’ve been studying for too long and forgetting the material. I’ll be testing the end of July and applying July 1 to SCO and UAB