LOW QR score!!! help! (Retake)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dds_2024

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I took the DAT a couple of days ago and these are the scores I received:

Bio 21
GC 20
OC 21
PAT 20
RC 29
QR 15
TS 21
AA 21

The first time I took the DAT I received:
Bio 17
GC 17
OC 18
PAT 20
RC 21
QR 14
TS 17
AA 17

As you can see, math is just not for me.. both times I ran out of time. This time I still had about 15 questions left and I had 10 minutes remaining so I was basically guessing at the end. I wanted to know if I will have a chance of getting in with a low QR score and 3.4 overall gpa and 3.0 science gpa.

The schools I want to apply to are:
Loma Linda
Western
USC
NYU
Midwestern IL/AZ
ASDOH AZ/MO
Howard
Marquette
Roseman
Touro
UNLV
Lecom

Reach Schools: (debating if it's even worth it to apply or not)
UOP
UCLA
UCSF

I am looking forward to hearing anyone's advice! :) I am planning on turning in my application by the end of this month.

Members don't see this ad.

How did you prepare for for the RC??? You did really well and that is my worst section... I am really struggling with this section and would appreciate your advice. Also, i dont think you need to retake- math is somehting schools dont care about as much specially if you have such a great Rc score! Ive contacted manyyyy schools and they told me the QR they might overlook when someone have scored very well on the rest... Congrats and good luck!

Its gonna be close for sure, i had a low qr (16) w/ a 21aa/ts and a 3.2 sgpa and had numerous interviews. Luckily schools do not really care about qr but hold a lot of value to RC, so if there was ever a section to bomb it would be the qr. Good school list, besides the reach schools. To be honest there is a difference between reach schools and schools that are clearly not a possibility. I think you shouldnt waste your money on UOP or UCLA. Also are you African American? If not I would remove Howard. I am biased since I am an incoming D1 at UNE, but consider adding UNE, even with the expensive living it was still the cheapest option from all the schools I received interviews at (IU, MWUAZ/IL, ATSTILLMO, Western, Tufts). Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
How did you prepare for for the RC??? You did really well and that is my worst section... I am really struggling with this section and would appreciate your advice. Also, i dont think you need to retake- math is somehting schools dont care about as much specially if you have such a great Rc score! Ive contacted manyyyy schools and they told me the QR they might overlook when someone have scored very well on the rest... Congrats and good luck!

I didn't really prepare for RC. I took 4 timed RC tests scored (24,26,20,19) took the 2007 and 2009 DAT RC tests during the full length (18,19). The first time I took it I received a 21 so I thought I would only get a score around there, but I think I got lucky because I really enjoyed reading the three passages I got and the answers were very straight forward (I got about 1-2 inference questions on each passage, everything else I was able to find in the passages)

However, I did do passage mapping and highlighting key words. I also didn't start answering questions until I read the whole thing (this worked for me because I had a general idea of where to look for the answers) It is mostly in order. For my second passage, the first question's answer was from the last paragraph but then after that it was in order from beginning to end.

& Thank you for the info! I should call too, haha. :)

good luck to you too!

Its gonna be close for sure, i had a low qr (16) w/ a 21aa/ts and a 3.2 sgpa and had numerous interviews. Luckily schools do not really care about qr but hold a lot of value to RC, so if there was ever a section to bomb it would be the qr. Good school list, besides the reach schools. To be honest there is a difference between reach schools and schools that are clearly not a possibility. I think you shouldnt waste your money on UOP or UCLA. Also are you African American? If not I would remove Howard. I am biased since I am an incoming D1 at UNE, but consider adding UNE, even with the expensive living it was still the cheapest option from all the schools I received interviews at (IU, MWUAZ/IL, ATSTILLMO, Western, Tufts). Good luck!

3.2 sgpa is a bit different from a 3.0 sgpa :censored:
I only picked my reach schools because I am from California, but you're right UCLA might be a little far-fetched. But you don't think that UOP looks at the application holistically? haha!

I'm not african american but the dentist I shadowed went to howard and she's not african american either and she told me to still try and apply...

I have never thought about UNE but I will definitely look into that.. I see that their average gpa is similar to mine so thank you for pointing that out. :) Good luck to you!!! and Congratulations on getting in :)

Just curious, but what did you use to prepare for QR and did you put a lot of time into it?

Hello, the first time I took the exam I was struggling with general chemistry and math so I only did destroyer (but I don't think I had a strong enough foundation to even do those problems) and I only focused on gen chem and math. (I did not even have time to finish half of bio and only studied ochem 2 week before my exam) As you can see, I was doomed for failure, haha. I used bootcamp and destroyer, btw.

This time I purchased destroyer again but only had time to use bootcamp. I did all of Bootcamp's QR and took the 2007/2009 DAT tests and did Math 1-3 in Destroyer and I used the Destroyer math playlist and went over the videos twice which I thought taught me enough to be able to answer the BC & destroyer questions that I did. I was able to answer most of the problems including world problems and stats, but on test day, it was hard for me to set up equations and probability was confusing me. I freaked out and I ended up guessing on most.

The same way I felt rushed and felt like I didn't know anything on my first try, I felt on my second try. So I don't know.. math was just not clicking in my head.

I think it is pretty common for schools to put the least emphasis on QR score. Other than that, your scores are solid! Good job. I would research for cutoffs and/or call (or email) admission directors for the schools you are really looking to get into to double check that you are good to apply before spending the money on an application for it get automatically rejected due to 15 QR!

Most schools do not put much emphasis on the QR section but then some have a minimum and auto reject scores below 17, so check out the schools and call the admissions whether they will accept the QR score. I would not apply to the reach schools because well they are pretty far to reach. I had similar stats to you but a little higher gpa (3.4- 3.5) and my DAT scores were more evenly spread out. Those schools on your list seem fine to me. On your list with my numbers I was able to get interviews at Loma Linda (will be attending), Western, USC, Midwestern, UNLV and ASDOH. You might have to talk about the 15 QR during interviews if they ask but if they do not you don't have to bring it up :)

Good luck and ReachOn!

Congratulations nice move up on the 2nd DAT, shows you put in a lot of hard work, great scores and schools will love the 29 in reading, 15 QR is a little low but as others have said check with the schools and you should have a great chance at receiving interviews, just make sure the rest of your application is complete with a stellar personal statement.

Wishing you the best.

Nancy, co-owner, Orgoman, DAT Destroyer

I think it is pretty common for schools to put the least emphasis on QR score. Other than that, your scores are solid! Good job. I would research for cutoffs and/or call (or email) admission directors for the schools you are really looking to get into to double check that you are good to apply before spending the money on an application for it get automatically rejected due to 15 QR!

This. To add to this, try applying broadly just to be safe. Since you improved in every section you should be fine.