1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Low Reading Score... Should I retake Dat?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by ln410, Aug 9, 2015.

1. ln410

TS: 21, AA:21, PAT:21, Rc: 16
    Gpa:3.9

I know some schools have cut-off scores. Im apllying to Nova, UFlorida, UPitts, NYU, UMichigan, Collorado, Temple, Rutgers. Should I retake dat?

2. Dr.Payne

Pre-Dental
    Great DAT overall, but there is evidence that correlates RC score to your board score.. That's a tough one. I probably wouldn't retake

pulltheleverkronk and ln410 like this.
  3. MolarBear93

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Well, not surprised that you spelled Colorado wrong... I feel like the 16 would stand out. Besides the 16, those stats would indicate a fairly competitive application.

4. slewis

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    you owe it to yourself to at least apply once with those stats. I do think your chances would have been better if you applied earlier in the cycle. Also, from my experience, the downside to having a low RC score is that you have to apply broadly... at least 5-7 schools (just my opinion) with an Academic Average range that you fall within.

ln410 likes this.
  5. slewis

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    If you haven't already, I'd also take a few english classes to show your performance in reading comp while taking science classes. Might help settle any uncertainties that adcoms would have.

ln410 likes this.
  6. AVB2104

5+ Year Member

Dentist
    No

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. willwash

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Is English your second language? If so it might help to mention that on a supplemental

ln410 likes this.
  8. RuffDay

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I would schedule a retake. I can't imagine scoring less the second time around.

I retook because of my PAT score the first time, and it went up a little bit the second time. It doesn't mean much, but it is better than my first score.

During your interview, you can tell them that you will be retaking it in November. This will give them a chance to accept you on December if you can score much better.

9. Kittenz

Kittenz Class of 19'
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I would absolutely NOT retake. Your TS and AA are above average. You're golden.

ln410 likes this.
  10. Pro-Dentite19

Dental Student
    Like others have said, besides the 16, your overall scores are great and you should be a shoe in to get interviews. I wouldn't waste the time and money re-taking the test.

ln410 likes this.