low science GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Myfriendgoo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Looking for some feedback. My situation is that I currently hold a low science GPA (2.85), 3.25 overall. Degree was from a good school. Currently taking some post-bacc classes at a prestigious university and getting all As.
My GPA was strong at first, then declined significantly due to an abusive relationship and pretty severe personal issues that resulted. It then went back up Senior year and continues to do so.
I have lots of research, clinical and volunteering experience so that part of application is strong. The only real problem is the 2 years of bad grades, again with circumstance.
I am planning on taking the new MCAT this April/May and applying for the Fall of 2016.

My question is whether this is good idea. (to apply now) as I will only have 2 semesters (about 5 classes) of postbacc transcripts when applying, and I don't know that will be enough to prove my competence. I am eager to get to medical school, since I will have already been out of school for a few years and it is difficult to balance school, volunteering and work as I support myself now. I also want to use some undergrad references and don't want them to be too outdated.

All of that being said, would it be wiser to give the MCAT my all now and apply with only some post-bacc experience and see what happens, or to do more post-bacc, delay the MCAT, and apply for Fall of 17.

Members don't see this ad.

You need to demonstrate that you can handle medical school. I recommend at least a year of post-bac that includes a decent course load. A high MCAT doesn't save a non-competitive sGPA (or cGPA).

Your fastest chance for being a doctor is to retake all F/D/C science coursework and apply to DO schools.