Low Science Subsection Scores on MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SunnyDays123

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I would just like a little advice on my predicament. I have taken the MCAT 2 times, first on May 13 and then Sep. 9 of this year. I had taken an online course through Princeton, but I studied on my own as well before I took the MCAT the first time. I also utilized the AAMC resources and I scored fairly well on their sample tests (511-514) with my science subsection scores at least a 126 and usually a 127 or 128 while my CARS and psych/ soc being really high. My first MCAT score was a 507 (126/125/126/130). I was disappointed, largely because I thought at least one of my science subsections would be a 127 and that my CARS would be 128+. I think my low CARS score was largely due to panic after a physics heavy C/P. I also felt that CARS on the real test was a little longer and that threw me off. I decided to retake, and I really focused on CARS practice and bringing up my physics skills. I also did a lot more practice. I just got back my second MCAT score and it was a 509 (126/129/125/129). I'm happy with my CARS score, but I thought I would have done better in my science sections. I found C/P to be easier and B/B to be a little difficult, but not worse than last time. I understand that my science scores are a less than ideal, but at this point I don't really know how I would improve them - I've gone through the section banks and I've studied the material. I'm a Biology major with a 3.90 GPA and a 3.85 sGPA, so I'm a little frustrated that I can't get my MCAT subsection scores to reflect that. I would be competitive for DO schools, but I would like to apply to MD schools as well. My question to you is whether you think that I should retake again because my science subsection scores are too low to be competitive, or if you think that I should apply with the score I have? I'm just confused about the next step from here, because I don't know what I really would do to increase my science subsections.....but I would try again if not trying would make me noncompetitive for MD schools.

Members don't see this ad.