low sciGPA hoping for non science MD/PhD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hopeful222

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've just graduated from an Ivy (HYP) and was hoping to apply to MD-PhD programs in Medical Anthropology for the 2011-2012 application cycle. However, I know that these programs are extremely competitive..... and I don't know whether I have a shot considering I have some horrible grades from freshman year (an F in calculus as well as a D in another science class). I don't really have any excuses for those grades... I was just really unmotivated and was struggling with depression that year.

After freshman year I got my act together and pulled 4.0s sophomore, junior, senior year... and retook the classes... however I know the bad original grades still are there. My cum gpa is 3.85, but sci gpa is 3.65.... which I know is really low for MD/Phd programs, esp. non-science programs since there are fewer of them. It's just been really hard to pull the GPA up with the D and F from freshman year. Also, I got a 39 on the MCAT.

I'm going abroad for the upcoming year on a Fulbright, but I was wondering if anyone can tell me whether getting into MD/Phd med anthro is a realistic goal for me with my low GPA? If not, would doing a post bac program help, as it would bring the sci GPA up? or, any other ideas on what I could do to make myself competitive?

I'm somewhat pessimistic because a handful of my premed friends from college who had 3.8+ sci GPAs didn't get into conventional MD/PhD programs this year. My MCATs are higher than theirs were, but I don't know if my MCAT score can compensate for a bad GPA here... especially when it comes to MD/PhD social science programs since there comparatively few of them.

Thanks in advance for the help, guys..

Members don't see this ad.

Cross-posted. For the record, I'd prefer MD/PhD WAMC requests go in the main MD/PhD forum as the usual MD/PhD geeks (like me!) don't really read the pre-allo stuff too much. But please don't post in both places.

If you'd like to follow this thread, go to:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=752988

Status
Not open for further replies.