Low Score---1st time OAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

myopia0017

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I just took my OAT this morning. I purchased a Kaplan book over a year ago and I have been casually working through the problems of the book. Because of school work, I an unable to really sit and study attentively for long periods of time for the OAT. I am currently enrolled in physics 2 and many other upper division bio classes. I scored pretty low on my OATs, TS 280 and AA 280. Surprisingly I did pretty average on the subjects I thought were my weaknesses 300 on gen chem and o.chem. I'm pretty distraught with my scores and I will retake the test in 90 days. I am trying to get into SCCO (preferred) or UHCO by fall 2008. Does anyone think its possible to be accepted? My goal is to improve my OATs by at least 50 points.

My gpa is ~3.47, I've been working for an optometrist for over a year now, and I do volunteer for the humane society.

I'm just not sure of the statistics for retaking the OAT.

Members don't see this ad.

You're going to have to do better on the OAT. I'd try to get it up to at least a 330 or something in that range. After all, isn't a 300 the average for that test?

Hi,

I just took my OAT this morning. I purchased a Kaplan book over a year ago and I have been casually working through the problems of the book. Because of school work, I an unable to really sit and study attentively for long periods of time for the OAT. I am currently enrolled in physics 2 and many other upper division bio classes. I scored pretty low on my OATs, TS 280 and AA 280. Surprisingly I did pretty average on the subjects I thought were my weaknesses 300 on gen chem and o.chem. I'm pretty distraught with my scores and I will retake the test in 90 days. I am trying to get into SCCO (preferred) or UHCO by fall 2008. Does anyone think its possible to be accepted? My goal is to improve my OATs by at least 50 points.

My gpa is ~3.47, I've been working for an optometrist for over a year now, and I do volunteer for the humane society.

I'm just not sure of the statistics for retaking the OAT.

your grades are great and your stats arent bad. dont let these haters tell you that you're not good enough. believe in yourself and you will be okay! keep your chin up.

Members don't see this ad :)
your gpa is great, just practice more for the OAT and get 300 or above. if you call the scco admissions office and ask their advice about OAT, they'll help you have an idea about what scores to reach. i can't remember the exact stats, but i know they told me they raised the bar this year for the entering 2007 class, especially with Reading Comp. They wanted the student to have 300 or above, at least, that's what I was told.

you can definitely get in, as long as you practice more and try to get a higher score on the OAT to make your application more competitive.

i recommend just doing more and more practice problems. just do as much as you can, and you'll be sure to defeat the OAT :)

try the topscore cd or oatachiever programs for more practice tests!

If you look at how the OAT is graded you will notice that it is graded on a scale from 200-400. by that means a 300 is not that great. Andf if you take a look at OAT breakdowns on opted.org, you will also notice that the average actually range in the area of 330-340.

I was invited to 7 different schools to interview and got accepted to all the ones I decied to interview at. (Only decided to attend 4 of the interviews). My GPA was subpar (about a 2.9), but I went to a notable university, that the schools knows is competitive. My OAT scores all ranged in the 370-390 other than reading.
I think from my experience, I put alot of stress into getting a good OAT score, because the longer you spend in this forum, you will realize that there is no real basis to rank any of the optometry schools other than their board passing rates. All school's want to have high passing rates to entice top applicants, and to do that they want good test takers.

P.S. SCCO raised their standards to requiring 1) a 3.0 GPA and 2) at least a score of 300 in each subject. If you are putting out 300s, let alone a 280TS/AA, you will be on the low end of their applicant pool. Your GPA is good, but I would not take the OAT over until I were confident in getting at least a 340 TS/AA, whether that be 90 days or a few months.

I can tell that you are upset right now because the OAT is so fresh in your mind. However, I think that taking the test 90 days from the day you took the OAT may be a bad idea.
Look at it this way; you are clearly a bright individual as evidenced by your gpa. However, you stated that you had not had the time to sit down and really study your butt off for the oat because of classes. If you really want to do well on the oat I would suggest taking no summer classes (or as few as possible) and just sit down and work on your oat material as hard as you can. Skimming over the material for a year is half as good as really working at it for a month or two.

By the way, I realize that 90 days from now does put us into the middle of summer!! My point though is this; don't take the test again just because you can, take it when you're confident and ready because you'be been able to dedicate yourself to studying for it.

By the way, I realize that 90 days from now does put us into the middle of summer!! My point though is this; don't take the test again just because you can, take it when you're confident and ready because you'be been able to dedicate yourself to studying for it.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

While none of us can truly guage your chances of admissions (or we would be on the admissions committee:D ) if you bring up your OAT score, I think you are in a good position going into the application cycle. Your grades are good, and you have work and volunteer experience. Be sure you don't take the OAT until you feel ready... as bigstick said, don't just jump in because the test is available to you again. Taking the test a second time and not improving is not good, because the adcom may believe that that is the best you can ever do. Good luck studying!

I see your logic about taking the test when I am ready and not just taking it because it is available. My only concern is the admissions cycle begins Sept. 1st for SCCO, will they consider the application if I were to submit my application without retaking the OATs yet?

Thank you for everyone's optimism, I need it!

I see your logic about taking the test when I am ready and not just taking it because it is available. My only concern is the admissions cycle begins Sept. 1st for SCCO, will they consider the application if I were to submit my application without retaking the OATs yet?

Thank you for everyone's optimism, I need it!

Yes... they can begin the review process on your app without having the second scores in. Let them know that you plan on retaking it on ____ and you'll fax your scores in as soon as you get them. Even if they wouldn't review the app without your new scores (unlikely), you are better off to wait a month and improve the scores than to risk taking it again, not doing well, and having them completely dismiss your app altogether.