low scores, midwest chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fireballman1234

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I am at a DO school in the midwest, my Comlex level 1 was 440, my USMLE Step 1 was 214, and my comlex level 2 was....405. So I actually took step 1 during this past summer, the summer of my third year because I convinced myself that I needed it for some programs and it would look better if I had a USMLE score on file. Well in hindsight that clearly didn't give me enough time to study for comlex 2 and my score severely suffered. Otherwise my grades are average, my rotation grades are mainly high pass with a few honors, I did research in undergrad and have one paper published.

So basically now I'm worrying I wont get any interviews in the midwest, how many programs is a good number to apply to? Is there a chance I don't match somewhere for peds?

Members don't see this ad.

Which direction you looking at? Allopathic residencies only, osteopath residencies only, both?

Others may offer much more salient advice, but I have to imagine that for the most part, most allopath peds residencies are not going to care much about the comlex scores so long as you passed them. That assumption may be completely wrong on my part. On the flip side, the osteopath residencies are likely not going to care much about your USMLE scores.

So long as you apply to a sufficiently large number of programs that cover the spectrum of competitiveness, and then rank wisely, you should be fine for peds. The people who don't match in peds are the ones who A) only apply to the big name programs that are well above their stats, or B) rank far fewer programs than they should.

Be honest with yourself about your resume and your chances, and be smart through the process and you'll be fine.

I am looking for only allopathic residencies and plan on applying to a good number of residencies

Try St. John/Providence in Detroit. That program has a 100% pass rate on the ABP Board Exam. You should also try all of the other programs in Michigan other than U of Michigan. You have no shot at Northwestern, Rush or U of Chicago, but you should try all of the other programs in Illinois. You should also try the program in Marshfield Wisconsin at St. Vincents.