low senior year grades, bad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jmoini

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
3.3 cum gpa
3.0 science
prereqs 3.5, science prereqs 3.3

senior year i got a's and b's, as well as two c's (biochem and evolutionary science classes) and two d's (cell bio, and a psychology class). i know it's not good, but how bad is it? can a good pcat score help with some schools (and which ones)?

Members don't see this ad.

I would say that you're still competitive since you're above a 3.0. If you do well on the PCAT and have good ec's, LORs, personal statement, etc, then you can offset a lower gpa.

Negative trends are never good... I would continue taking courses - but avoid doing poorly anymore. Upper division courses are more difficult than lower - so it makes sense that GPAs tend to be lower - but when ADCOMs are deciding whether or not you are graduate student material - poor performance does not bode well.

I would have a plan in place - whether it be school, work, volunteer, or a combination - to show that you are ready for grad school. That way your application is improving all the time.

That being said - above 3.0 means you are capable of getting in the door (getting an interview) - but it will take much more than an average GPA to get you accepted.

Good luck - and let us know how you are doing.

~above~

gpa wise you are fine. the c's are no biggie but the d's are definitely not going to look pretty. when you retake them (and my guess is you have to right? at least psych cause thats usually a prereq) just make sure you do good in them. as for the pcat just try not to get less than an 80% for your chem, bio, and cumulative scores.