low sGPA, but higher in upper level chem classes? + residency question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hello!

Back story: I came to college with pre-med on my mind, but I took a ridiculous load first year (bio, calc, physics) and everything fell apart. Circumstances of my demise include the economy making my single mum lose her job, ex-boyfriend calling me and threatening suicide, and the move from small rural high school to competitive urban liberal arts college. Thus, I basically thought my pre-med dreams were over and I switched my aim toward academic chemistry.

Fast forward to now, I am about to start my last semester of college and I am having doubts about academic chemistry. I can't get medicine out of my mind--two of the three labs I have worked in have had biological applications--and I am starting to think I have a chance.

My upward trend:
First year
Bio I lecture...................B+
Bio I lab ........................A
Calc I .............................B
Physics I ....................... B
Bio II lecture ................ B
Bio II lab .......................A-
Calc II ...........................B
Physics II ......................C (YIKES!)

Second Year
Gen Chem I ..................A-
Genetics ........................B
Orgo I lecture ...............A-
Orgo I lab .....................B+

Third Year
OrgoII lecture ...............A-
Advanced orgo lab ........A
Physical Chem I ............A-
Analytical Chem lab .....A-

Fourth Year
Physical chem II ...........A
Inorganic chem .............B
Physical chem lab I .......A-
Biochem ........................spring
Physical chem lab II ......spring
Honors thesis .................spring
Anatomy ........................spring

cGPA 3.47
sGPA 3.40

So my question is, do you think the upward trend of my grades can make up for my epic fail first year? Do I need to retake physics II? While I bombed physics and calc, I have achieved much higher grades in physical chemistry, which really tested my calculus skills. I am also planning to study like a madwoman for biochem and anatomy to help show I can handle medical school's memorization.

My other problem is that I don't have very much volunteer work under my belt. Financing my education has been a large priority, so I have always worked 10-15 hours a week (tutoring, life guarding, and swimming instructor). Perhaps that doesn't sound like much, but the chemistry major at my school is extremely lab intensive, so most semesters I had lab two days a week and not much time to spare. I also am in two musical groups (leadership positions) and revived the chemistry club from hibernation. I have a lot of research experience and close relationships with several professors.

My plan for the next 2-3 years is to beast the MCAT, volunteer volunteer volunteer, shadow a few doctors and to work in a research lab. I have thought about applying to Mount Sinai's MS in biomedical sciences, but I am not sure I can justify the cost. I would like to do research as a doctor, but I think MD/PhD programs may be out of my reach due to low stats. Any other suggestions?

I would love to go to a public medical school. The three states in which I could establish residency are New York, Missouri (current) and Wisconsin. I am leaning towards NY because I think it holds the most options, but any thoughts?

Thanks for your time!

tldr: Can pchem make up for poor showing in pre-reqs? Can aces in biochem and anatomy help with low bio I/II grades? Should I get NY residency?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello!

Back story: I came to college with pre-med on my mind, but I took a ridiculous load first year (bio, calc, physics) and everything fell apart. Circumstances of my demise include the economy making my single mum lose her job, ex-boyfriend calling me and threatening suicide, and the move from small rural high school to competitive urban liberal arts college. Thus, I basically thought my pre-med dreams were over and I switched my aim toward academic chemistry.

Fast forward to now, I am about to start my last semester of college and I am having doubts about academic chemistry. I can't get medicine out of my mind--two of the three labs I have worked in have had biological applications--and I am starting to think I have a chance.

My upward trend:
First year
Bio I lecture...................B+
Bio I lab ........................A
Calc I .............................B
Physics I ....................... B
Bio II lecture ................ B
Bio II lab .......................A-
Calc II ...........................B
Physics II ......................C (YIKES!)

Second Year
Gen Chem I ..................A-
Genetics ........................B
Orgo I lecture ...............A-
Orgo I lab .....................B+

Third Year
OrgoII lecture ...............A-
Advanced orgo lab ........A
Physical Chem I ............A-
Analytical Chem lab .....A-

Fourth Year
Physical chem II ...........A
Inorganic chem .............B
Physical chem lab I .......A-
Biochem ........................spring
Physical chem lab II ......spring
Honors thesis .................spring
Anatomy ........................spring

cGPA 3.47
sGPA 3.40

So my question is, do you think the upward trend of my grades can make up for my epic fail first year? Do I need to retake physics II? While I bombed physics and calc, I have achieved much higher grades in physical chemistry, which really tested my calculus skills. I am also planning to study like a madwoman for biochem and anatomy to help show I can handle medical school's memorization.

My other problem is that I don't have very much volunteer work under my belt. Financing my education has been a large priority, so I have always worked 10-15 hours a week (tutoring, life guarding, and swimming instructor). Perhaps that doesn't sound like much, but the chemistry major at my school is extremely lab intensive, so most semesters I had lab two days a week and not much time to spare. I also am in two musical groups (leadership positions) and revived the chemistry club from hibernation. I have a lot of research experience and close relationships with several professors.

My plan for the next 2-3 years is to beast the MCAT, volunteer volunteer volunteer, shadow a few doctors and to work in a research lab. I have thought about applying to Mount Sinai's MS in biomedical sciences, but I am not sure I can justify the cost. I would like to do research as a doctor, but I think MD/PhD programs may be out of my reach due to low stats. Any other suggestions?

I would love to go to a public medical school. The three states in which I could establish residency are New York, Missouri (current) and Wisconsin. I am leaning towards NY because I think it holds the most options, but any thoughts?

Thanks for your time!

tldr: Can pchem make up for poor showing in pre-reqs? Can aces in biochem and anatomy help with low bio I/II grades? Should I get NY residency?

First off, I really dont think your GPA is a problem. Its marginally below average for matriculants, and you have a strong upwards trend, so I would say you are in good shape honestly. If you beast the MCAT and do all your volunteering etc, I think you'll be a competitive applicant.

As far as state residency, I would actually stay away from NY. NY and CA are the most competitive states to be from (maybe add MA to those). Each of those states are going to have 2,000-3,000 applicants of their own, plus everyone else wants to live in NY and CA. Your chances are probably better if you stay in a state like Missouri or Wisconsin. If you are a NY resident, you are applying to the SUNYs, NYU, Columbia, Mt Sinai, all of which are insanely hard to get in to, even as a state resident.

EDIT: Just to add some perspective, my girlfriend is a CA resident. She applied to about 20 schools, including all 4-5 of the Cali schools. She got 12 interview invites and like 7 acceptances, but NONE of those interviews were at CA schools. Half of the Cali schools didn't even give her a secondary. Basically, being a CA or NY resident really gives you a very marginal advantage at their state schools, whereas "regular" state schools give huge preference to residents of their own state.