• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Site Updates Coming Soon

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Low sGPA, how to improve my chances of getting into DO?

Out.here.struggling

Apr 21, 2019
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Hey!
So my non-science GPA is a 3.74, however my cumulative GPA is a 3.3. I'm sure you can guess from the drop that I'm not doing that well in my science courses. I'm going into my junior year and I'm planning on taking a gap year so I won''t be applying until senior year meaning I still have some time to bring my GPA up. Do you have any suggestions from me? How can I be a stronger applicant if I'm lacking when it comes to my pre-reqs. I know this will make things a lot harder for me to get into med school but it's something I'm very passionate about and am willing to put in the work for in order to improve. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance :)

Upvote 0

Mr_Irrelevant

Extraordinarily average OMS-II
2+ Year Member
May 20, 2019
  1. Medical Student
I don't think your GPA is all that low for DO. Not low enough for an SMP. Since you still have your senior year left to improve, focus on a rising GPA trend and a 505+ on the MCAT. Get a primary care DO LOR, some exposure to the clinic, and this should net you some interviews.

Edit: Realized you are going into your junior year which gives you that much more time to better your GPA

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jun 11, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
  1. Non-Student
Hey!
So my non-science GPA is a 3.74, however my cumulative GPA is a 3.3. I'm sure you can guess from the drop that I'm not doing that well in my science courses. I'm going into my junior year and I'm planning on taking a gap year so I won''t be applying until senior year meaning I still have some time to bring my GPA up. Do you have any suggestions from me? How can I be a stronger applicant if I'm lacking when it comes to my pre-reqs. I know this will make things a lot harder for me to get into med school but it's something I'm very passionate about and am willing to put in the work for in order to improve. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance :)
Your sGPA is fine for any DO school, including mine.

Just do well in remaining science coursework, and find a DO to shadow, and get LOR from.

Upvote 0
About the Ads

futurexray

7+ Year Member
May 14, 2013
  1. Other Health Professions Student
Work hard to get it up as high as you can. Remember that schools who get upwards of 10,000 apps will sort then by numbers first, GPA and MCAT scores and then review those apps first. So work to get your numbers so they come out higher in the rubric.

Upvote 0

Seihai

The dog is always the real hero.
2+ Year Member
May 24, 2017
Why don't you post what your sGPA actually is? Just posting your non-science GPA and your cumulative GPA but not the science GPA is only serving to make it harder to actually give you advice on whether it's competitive or not.

Upvote 0
About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.